PDA

View Full Version : Sportster clutch issues

Footyguru
07-31-2017, 5:19 PM
Have a 1995 sportster 1200 and the clutch was slipping so I bought the compression tool and a set of plates and went to replace them. Put the spring tool on tightened it down and it snapped the pressure plate where it retains the adjustment screw/bearing so there's no way to compress the spring to take the snap ring out. Is the next step to take the whole assembly off and compress it in a vice or use a bunch of c clamps?... anybody have some advice here

BadMonkeyMW
07-31-2017, 6:14 PM
Have a 1995 sportster 1200 and the clutch was slipping so I bought the compression tool and a set of plates and went to replace them. Put the spring tool on tightened it down and it snapped the pressure plate where it retains the adjustment screw/bearing so there's no way to compress the spring to take the snap ring out. Is the next step to take the whole assembly off and compress it in a vice or use a bunch of c clamps?... anybody have some advice here

As you have found out the hard way, you only compress the tool down just enough to the get the snap/retaining ring out. At this point I would say your only real option is to pull the clutch basket and use a shop press or something similar to get your busted pressure plate out. Good luck and proceed carefully.

Footyguru
07-31-2017, 6:36 PM
So to take the whole basket off I need to the whole primary assembly off right? And the one nut is left hand thread if I am correct?

Tattooo
07-31-2017, 7:24 PM
What does the manual say??????

BadMonkeyMW
08-01-2017, 4:42 AM
So to take the whole basket off I need to the whole primary assembly off right? And the one nut is left hand thread if I am correct?

That's the right, the clutch hub nut is left hand thread, the drive sprocket nut at the front of the primary drive is regular thread. You will greatly benefit from the use of an impact gun in removing those nuts if you have access to one.