PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shifting into 2nd from 1st. 4 speed rotary top.

DPipke
07-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Ever since I've had this bike it's been very difficult to shift into second. Sometimes it just will hit neutral and I need to pull over! If I am able to get into second, I have to boot stomp the shifter to get back to first. I've adjusted the clutch according to the book and have tried fiddling with the adjustment quite a bit with no luck. If i do get it into 2nd, it shifts into 3Rd and 4th easily. I had pulled the top end of the tranny and i was able to cycle through the cowpie from 1St to 4th quite fluently. suggestions on what to check next? I've been working on harleys for only a couple years so I'll be the first admit I'm still a newbie but I'll be damned if I let someone else fix it and not Learn it myself!

Tattooo
07-26-2017, 11:08 AM
Ever since I've had this bike it's been very difficult to shift into second. Sometimes it just will hit neutral and I need to pull over! If I am able to get into second, I have to boot stomp the shifter to get back to first. I've adjusted the clutch according to the book and have tried fiddling with the adjustment quite a bit with no luck. If i do get it into 2nd, it shifts into 3Rd and 4th easily. I had pulled the top end of the tranny and i was able to cycle through the cowpie from 1St to 4th quite fluently. suggestions on what to check next? I've been working on harleys for only a couple years so I'll be the first admit I'm still a newbie but I'll be damned if I let someone else fix it and not Learn it myself!

What year tranny??? How do the multi shift rods/bushings look??? I'll bet they are worn the fuck out......

DPipke
07-26-2017, 7:34 PM
It is a late 1979 style plate shifter trans. Pulled out of an FL or a FXWG. It's just between first and second gear that a problem exists. I'm going to assume I need to pull the trans and check the forks, anything else that would cause such a problem?

Tattooo
07-26-2017, 7:39 PM
It is a late 1979 style plate shifter trans. Pulled out of an FL or a FXWG. It's just between first and second gear that a problem exists. I'm going to assume I need to pull the trans and check the forks, anything else that would cause such a problem?

My first thought was forks but you said that you had it out and it shifted just fine... Am I right??? Also the rotary will get worn... I hope Jesse chimes in on this.... He has more experience with these trans than I do....

DPipke
07-26-2017, 8:00 PM
SOLVED: THE FRIGGEN NEUTRAL LIGHT SWITCH. I remember the neutral light switch has a steel pin that rides the grooves in the plate. I also remember when I pulled it once it had alot of play on that pin. Well turns out the pin was had enough play that when the plate would turn it would bind the rod/pin and cause the transmission plate to hang up. I pulled the switch out and she shifter like a friggen dream no more stomping. So somthing worth checking for anyone else out there! Thanks for the response tattooo, this forum is great because people like you are here to help!

Tattooo
07-26-2017, 8:39 PM
SOLVED: THE FRIGGEN NEUTRAL LIGHT SWITCH. I remember the neutral light switch has a steel pin that rides the grooves in the plate. I also remember when I pulled it once it had alot of play on that pin. Well turns out the pin was had enough play that when the plate would turn it would bind the rod/pin and cause the transmission plate to hang up. I pulled the switch out and she shifter like a friggen dream no more stomping. So somthing worth checking for anyone else out there! Thanks for the response tattooo, this forum is great because people like you are here to help!

Thanks for responding and letting us know the problem... Buy a new OEM vintage one if you can find it even if it cost more.... I really don't like new repo crap... Many times it is worst than what you have now....

Thanks for the kind words.... I really enjoy helping when I can....

Tattooo
07-26-2017, 8:47 PM
Oh by the way, I just thought of something.... If the new switch doesn't fix the problem it might be that the rotary is worn out as the switch just pushes on the rotary plate as it rotates and it's worn and cocking sideways.....

Just a thought????
Good luck.......