PDA

View Full Version : Shovelhead oil / oil filter

Clickjack
07-19-2017, 12:04 AM
I need to change my oil before a trip this weekend. Where do I find the drop in oil filter?
What oil do you recommend to run in a 1979 80ci Shovel?

tzienlee
07-19-2017, 10:44 AM
50wt
under the seat...... in the main oil filler cap on top of the oil tank.(not the little one on the left side)
BUY A MANUAL !!!........Seriously, this is so basic

Tattooo
07-19-2017, 12:16 PM
What makes you think it even has a drop in filter?????????

jbswear
07-19-2017, 1:34 PM
I wonder...

Does he mean "Where do I find a new filter for purchase?"

And, yeah, I agree with the manual suggestion.

Tattooo
07-19-2017, 1:46 PM
I wonder...

Does he mean "Where do I find a new filter for purchase?"

And, yeah, I agree with the manual suggestion.

Yea I thought of where you buy one too but you never know about him.....

Clickjack
07-26-2017, 3:54 PM
Tattoo is an idiot, ignore him.

I have a manual, I know where the filter is. I was hoping to find one local vs buying from J&P. I feel like they have to available somewhere in L.A. But so far no luck.

Tattooo
07-26-2017, 7:52 PM
Tattoo is an idiot, ignore him.

I have a manual, I know where the filter is. I was hoping to find one local vs buying from J&P. I feel like they have to available somewhere in L.A. But so far no luck.

LOL I'm an idiot and you can't find an oil filter after a WEEK???????? Damn.........

I guess Tzienlee is an idiot also???? He thought the same as I about your question.......

Since your so smart please feel free to help answer peoples questions here on CC.......

Thanks

farmall
07-28-2017, 12:53 AM
Those of us with functioning gray matter buy multiple filters online along with the oil of our preference so we have bench stock and avoid hassle. Ebay sellers ship fast and often undercut the total price from big name vendors for the same part.

Buying one oil filter is like buying asswipe by the sheet.

BuddhahoodVato
07-29-2017, 8:45 AM
Those of us with functioning gray matter buy multiple filters online along with the oil of our preference so we have bench stock and avoid hassle. Ebay sellers ship fast and often undercut the total price from big name vendors for the same part.

Gracias Pinchi Farmall for the early morn chuckle, but I agree that buying singles is fruitless.

Clickjack
07-31-2017, 8:18 PM
LOL I'm an idiot and you can't find an oil filter after a WEEK???????? Damn.........

I guess Tzienlee is an idiot also???? He thought the same as I about your question.......

Since your so smart please feel free to help answer peoples questions here on CC.......

Thanks

I didn't think that would hurt your feelings. I apologize. As you always read what I say in the worst possible way, and post an insult, I have assumed that you just do it on purpose.

Clickjack
07-31-2017, 8:20 PM

Yeah that's what I do. I was just hoping to find one quick so I could go on a camping trip that popped up.

Clickjack
07-31-2017, 8:26 PM
So the guy who had my bike before me was running Mobil 1 15w50 (synthetic). Everyone here seems to suggest just running straight 50w.

I know zero about synthetic. Is it ok in a shovelhead? Can I switch back with out an issue? Seems like I was told once that you can't switch back so I've just been using what he used.

xMPRx
07-31-2017, 10:48 PM
I know that you have to be carefully switching to synthetics that have detergent if you have been running a non detergent oil for long periods, will break down the carbon buildup and such and cause problems but I have always been told that the can't go back once you switch is completely false. I also have heard the argument that you must completely flush out your engine and oil tank before you switch from synthetic to conventional but i also believe that is false. I am an engineer on tug boats and tow oil barges around and was actually talking to a chevron guy about this because he was recommending an additive for are reduction gears that take straight 40w because the additive is 100% synthetic and he said its a myth.

So the guy who had my bike before me was running Mobil 1 15w50 (synthetic). Everyone here seems to suggest just running straight 50w.

I know zero about synthetic. Is it ok in a shovelhead? Can I switch back with out an issue? Seems like I was told once that you can't switch back so I've just been using what he used.

Sky
08-01-2017, 6:51 AM
As long as the oil is labeled good for air cooled motors, just pick the weight to match the weather.
Most places right now need 70w... It's hot out there folks!

Tattooo
08-01-2017, 7:15 AM
I have assumed that you just do it on purpose.

Nope.... Just remember assume makes an ass out of u and me.........

Tattooo
08-01-2017, 7:16 AM
As long as the oil is labeled good for air cooled motors, just pick the weight to match the weather.
Most places right now need 70w... It's hot out there folks!

You got that shit right..... Not anymore but when I rode my Pan or Shovel everyday I ran 70w in the summer......

Bbqbiker
08-01-2017, 7:54 AM
The simpleton I bought my shovel from ran Fryolator oil or something like that he was very cheap has the same toothbrush since 1971 even made his girl recycle tampons which is fucking gross but hey a penny saved is a penny earned right?? I ran 60wt all last season with it and then this year I switched to synthetic 20/50 and all is good nothing no leaks no issues just runs fine. In my oil stash I have 5 quarts of old Kendall straight 70wt got me thinking I might dump that in a hot day and see what happens

Tattooo
08-01-2017, 10:10 AM
. In my oil stash I have 5 quarts of old Kendall straight 70wt got me thinking I might dump that in a hot day and see what happens

If your riding when it's really hot it's works GREAT.........

Clickjack
08-01-2017, 4:26 PM
Nope.... Just remember assume makes an ass out of u and me.........

Alright, well again I apologize. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. If you could try to either ignore my posts or respond with out adding some slight or insult I'd appreciate it. And I'll try to be nicer to you. I do appreciate that you and everyone else here knows more than me about old bikes, or I wouldn't be asking questions.

Clickjack
08-01-2017, 4:32 PM
So straight 70w in the summer?
Straight 50w in the fall / winter?

Tattooo
08-01-2017, 4:39 PM
Alright, well again I apologize. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. If you could try to either ignore my posts or respond with out adding some slight or insult I'd appreciate it. And I'll try to be nicer to you.

I accept your apologies.... Believe me you didn't hurt my feelings and I could care less......... If you ask a very vague question like the one you asked above I and others will answer it just like we did...... If you don't like the answer you get ask your question differently next time............

Think about what your asking before you hit post...... That will help all on here that tries to help people.....
Thanks

Clickjack
08-01-2017, 8:59 PM
Where are you guys finding 70w? Trying to find Valvoline 70w - so far the internet is failing me...

J&P has Milwaukee Twins
Lucas High Performance
And something called Maxima 70w Mineral engine Oil

Any opinion on those?

Cory
08-01-2017, 11:44 PM
Clickjack.... you live in LA and cant find a filter? Look up any motorcycle shop that deals with v twins. They will have what you're looking for. And likely wouldn't be that far. You'll pay more than buying bulk but you're supporting your local shop, which is cool when you find a good one. They will also have the straight weight oils.

Sky
08-02-2017, 6:39 AM
Not every independent shop carries drop in filters or the oil you want.
But go in and ask them, they should be able to order some for you...
Tucker Rocky, V-Twin, Mid West, Mid-USA, J&P all stock what you need.

Paper is better than "horse hair"

And as long as the bottle states "air cooled" your good to go.
I mean, oil is oil. And our tractors will survive with most
But the "additive package" aka chemical modifiers are what makes one oil more suited to a particular purpose.

Tattooo
08-02-2017, 6:49 AM
Where are you guys finding 70w? Trying to find Valvoline 70w -

Go to your local auto parts store and ask them to order it..... Auto Zone can get it........

Clickjack
08-02-2017, 2:08 PM
Go to your local auto parts store and ask them to order it..... Auto Zone can get it........

I did. They said no. But that could just be a very busy, and particularly low function Auto Zone. It's a half hour wait to be told they don't carry what I'm asking for...every time.

Clickjack
08-02-2017, 2:13 PM
Clickjack.... you live in LA and cant find a filter? Look up any motorcycle shop that deals with v twins. They will have what you're looking for. And likely wouldn't be that far. You'll pay more than buying bulk but you're supporting your local shop, which is cool when you find a good one. They will also have the straight weight oils.

That's what started this post. So far no luck, and I just ordered more from J&P. The shops Ive found so far don't have anything.

Fings369
08-02-2017, 2:22 PM
Ebay All Day

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Shovelhead-1966-84-OIL-TANK-drop-in-OIL-FILTER-new-updated-aftermarket-/272764970877?hash=item3f820f277d:g:8uEAAOSwdzVXi56 t&vxp=mtr

That guy has 5 in stock

As far as oil I'd go Lucas or Redline, I've ran valvoline 20w50 in my softail and it works, at walmart in the motorsports nook about 6 a qt doesn't break my wallet.

Or stock up and like me and buy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucas-Oil-10697-SAE-60-Wt-Plus-5-Gallon-Pail-Each-/291770325229?epid=1729899017&hash=item43eeddd8ed:g:l7YAAOSwd2xXQTNs

buying 5 gallons of oil and 5 oil filters is a blessing when it's sitting in the corner of your garage... UPS guy probably wasn't thrilled...

Tattooo
08-02-2017, 5:33 PM
I did. They said no. But that could just be a very busy, and particularly low function Auto Zone. It's a half hour wait to be told they don't carry what I'm asking for...every time.

That's BS...... Go some where that isn't as busy.......

Clickjack
08-02-2017, 6:08 PM
That's BS...... Go some where that isn't as busy.......

I agree. I have nothing against anyone but after coming from Texas. It's a different world out here. There are good people... but a lot of really lazy / liars / cheats you have to navigate around to find them.

I'm a Locksmith and I see it a ton in my industry so I maybe a little extra jaded

Tattooo
08-02-2017, 8:19 PM
I hate AutoZone anyway.......... Go to a NAPA store or something like that..........

Sky
08-03-2017, 6:15 AM
Don't go to an auto parts store to buy motorcycle stuff...
Find yourself an indy shop that works on pre Evo bikes.
Or order it yourself

The manual has weight recommendations according to the weather...

This is the "cheap" stuff we carry
http://www.spectroshop.com/heavy-duty-v-twin/heavy-duty-engine

The good stuff
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/synthetic-sae-60-motorcycle-oil/?code=MCSQT-EA

But I wouldn't waste the expensive stuff on a leaky, high mile, just one more season before pulling the top end type of machine.

Tattooo
08-03-2017, 6:29 AM
Don't go to an auto parts store to buy motorcycle stuff...
Find yourself an indy shop that works on pre Evo bikes.
Or order it yourself

I was only talking about oil..... But other than that you are 100% right.........