PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Caliper Question

btalley63
07-18-2017, 6:19 PM
Hello All,
Having a hard time getting my rear wheel not to drag on the brake after replacing the wheel. I put late model wheels on an 83 shovelhead. On the rear brake caliper, do both pads move when the brakes are applied? Or does one just press against the other? Also, how easy should the back wheel move when raised? I have some bearing shims I'm putting on either side of the caliper to move closer or further away from the disk.

Thanks for the info.

Tattooo
07-18-2017, 6:37 PM
Hello All,
Having a hard time getting my rear wheel not to drag on the brake after replacing the wheel. I put late model wheels on an 83 shovelhead. On the rear brake caliper, do both pads move when the brakes are applied? Or does one just press against the other? Also, how easy should the back wheel move when raised? I have some bearing shims I'm putting on either side of the caliper to move closer or further away from the disk.

Thanks for the info.

There should be almost no drag with the wheel off the ground... Also only the piston side of the caliper/piston should be moving the pad....

btalley63
07-21-2017, 7:02 AM
Thanks!

tzienlee
07-21-2017, 7:44 AM
If it still has the original Banana Calliper it will be single piston with a floating calliper.
to be honest they never worked well from new.
very under braked for a big bike.
if you want a good brake & are not bothered about originality, I'd say get an 11.5'' disc on the back and use a 2003 Sportster rear Calliper.
its an almost straight bolt on conversion, all you need is a Spacer made.
the axle is the same diameter, the Brake Anchor/Torque Arm is in the correct direction And you end up with a 4 pot Brembo that will stop ya bike on a dime.
I have done this twice now and it works great and didn't cost more than about $150 buying off of ebay

CTNewman
07-21-2017, 8:21 AM
There should be almost no drag with the wheel off the ground... Also only the piston side of the caliper/piston should be moving the pad....

Both pads need to move on any modern caliper...

WillSCB
07-21-2017, 8:34 AM

In a sense, you are both right. The piston side of the caliper moves the pad, but the caliper housing moves to grab the rotor (hence the term single piston caliper.) The pad on the side opposite the piston moves with the caliper housing.

Tattooo
07-21-2017, 9:31 AM

The inside pad doesn't move when the piston moves... It just floats..... I think that was his question.... But with that said your more smarter than I am.....

tzienlee
07-21-2017, 10:05 AM
as I said,... it's a single piston with a floating calliper.... cheap shit that only works as part of an ''Antilock Brake System'' !!

Tattooo
07-21-2017, 11:15 AM
as I said,... it's a single piston with a floating calliper.... cheap shit that only works as part of an ''Antilock Brake System'' !!

I heard ya.......... I haven't seen a pic of what kind of brakes he has so at this point we are just guessing......