PDA

View Full Version : 86 Electra glide: Good buy?

Supermandt
07-13-2017, 5:52 PM
I'm looking at getting an 86 Electra glide below is his post. He said it needs a transmission shifter shaft bushing. Is this a good buy at $3500? Is that bushing easy to instal? I have some mechanical skill but never on American bike just Japanese. I'd love to ride a Harley. I'll try to post pics but the bike looks decent. Not great.

S&S Evo motor upgrade, Ev27 cam, dynatek ignition module, dynatek dual coils. This bike is very fast and rides good. It does need a shifter shaft sleeve which is $33.00. Otherwise you have to hold shifter in with your to change gears. I have the certificate of origin and motor work receipts for all the upgrades. I can have the shifter sleeve installed, but it will cost you $200 additional. Title in hand

Supermandt
07-13-2017, 6:30 PM
https://flic.kr/p/WvqpRz

farmall
07-13-2017, 7:36 PM
S&S Evo motor upgrade

An S&S replacement engine or what PRECISELY has been done? If you can contact S&S with the serial number on the engine cases they can determine if they were sold as an assembled engine or separately.

If it's mostly stock it's just another adequate (but reliable if cared for) Evo bagger. If the engine is a complete S&S that's better but it would be nice if it's larger displacement than stock.

The shifter shaft bushing doesn't hold the shift linkage in place like a detent so "unknown transmission problem". Also it's got the early electric starter and the early delicate aluminum clutch hub (use the correct puller lest ye snap off the towers).

If it's an S&S replacement engine in good shape it's not bad for 3500 (he mentions MSO) but you should expect to do transmission work and be into it for another grand. You can replace the transmission and primary with much better later parts including the spline shaft transmission and better clutch. That gets you the excellent later Denso starter. With stockish hp the original parts are OK though. Mine lasted over 100,000 miles on my FXR.

It ain't chopper material though ugly has its own charm. However ugly destroys resale so I'd keep it stockish.

Are Hawaii prices much higher than CONUS? Where would one ride a bagger on the islands?

Tattooo
07-13-2017, 7:57 PM
I'd say that's all it's worth...... But only if it still has a Harley title......

Supermandt
07-13-2017, 9:02 PM
I'm in Ga now I need to update my page. I appreciate the info. I might have him fix it first and pay the extra two hundred instead of a grand. Or do you think the transmission problem would be easyish?

Tattooo
07-13-2017, 9:17 PM
I'm in Ga now I need to update my page. I appreciate the info. I might have him fix it first and pay the extra two hundred instead of a grand. Or do you think the transmission problem would be easyish?

My bet is that the bushing won't fix it.... It would have to be worn the F out to be a problem.....