PDA

View Full Version : Mag plug wires backing out

Benny74
07-09-2017, 9:10 AM
I have a pretty annoying problem. Im running a Morris MM2 mag on my 74 sporty with some Accel 8.8mm plug wires and they have a tendency to back out of the mag, causing me to have to pull over, stop the bike, reopen the plugs and start it again. Annoying to say the least.

I've tried opening the plug ends up and pulling the plug boot out so the plugs could sit deeper but to no avail. Is my problem that I'm not using Morris wires? I have a hard time believing that they are that different. Is there any secret to keeping the wires set into the mag cap or am I just using the wrong shit?

tzienlee
07-09-2017, 9:42 AM
you need to use solid copper wires not silicon or carbon,..
non suppressed caps and the proper wire fitting not a car type...
have been running Magneto's for years & have never had one fall out they should be a push fit that sort of ''clicks'' in .....
think ya said it when ya said '' am I just using the wrong shit? ''

Benny74
07-09-2017, 10:19 AM
you need to use solid copper wires not silicon or carbon,..
non suppressed caps and the proper wire fitting not a car type...
have been running Magneto's for years & have never had one fall out they should be a push fit that sort of ''clicks'' in .....
think ya said it when ya said '' am I just using the wrong shit? ''

They are solid copper, magneto specific wires, they just seem to be ill fitting. They don't click when they're inserted, and I don't believe my mag cap has a groove for the tabs on the wires. Maybe I just need a new cap?

farmall
07-09-2017, 11:12 AM
A quick way to cheat so you can ride right away would be a bead of clear sensor-safe RTV between boot and cap but of course not interfering with the contacts. Off-roaders have been gobbing it on distributors and coils forever to keep out moisture. It's harmless to plastic and peels off for maintenance.

Let it cure overnight since RTV cures by reacting with moisture in the atmosphere. I'd run the bead around the cap towers then insert the wires so the RTV is forced between boot and cap. Both boot and cap must be free of grease and dirt.

Then I'd get Morris wires and inspect the ends. You can take pics and measurements to roll your own wires in the future.

Are you running a Morris cap or unknown aftermarket mystery cap?

tzienlee
07-09-2017, 11:37 AM
one thing to check,... with the wires out, use a probe to see how deep the holes are,... then measure how much of the wire you have been pushing in,... it may just be that you haven't pushed them in hard enough or deep enough.... worth a check..

Benny74
07-09-2017, 7:50 PM
A quick way to cheat so you can ride right away would be a bead of clear sensor-safe RTV between boot and cap but of course not interfering with the contacts. Off-roaders have been gobbing it on distributors and coils forever to keep out moisture. It's harmless to plastic and peels off for maintenance.

Let it cure overnight since RTV cures by reacting with moisture in the atmosphere. I'd run the bead around the cap towers then insert the wires so the RTV is forced between boot and cap. Both boot and cap must be free of grease and dirt.

Then I'd get Morris wires and inspect the ends. You can take pics and measurements to roll your own wires in the future.

Are you running a Morris cap or unknown aftermarket mystery cap?

Its a morris cap, I was thinking of doing what you suggested before but wasnt sure if it would harm anything. I think thats what Im gomna end up doing