PDA

View Full Version : disk brake on a Durfee girder

paknsand
07-08-2017, 3:42 PM
LOL, having some clearance issues. Started out with a clover style hub laced to a 21" wheel. That's narrow enough to fit between the legs and fit a brake disk. But I have less than an inch between the rotor and spokes, and haven't found a caliper skinny enough to fit in there. Can't space the disk out, barely 1/4 inch between it and the legs.Anybody got suggestions?? Maybe a hub with a narrower spacing between the spoke flanges????

Sky
07-08-2017, 3:45 PM
Try a rear single piston caliper...

DustyDave
07-08-2017, 8:22 PM
LOL, having some clearance issues. Started out with a clover style hub laced to a 21" wheel. That's narrow enough to fit between the legs and fit a brake disk. But I have less than an inch between the rotor and spokes, and haven't found a caliper skinny enough to fit in there. Can't space the disk out, barely 1/4 inch between it and the legs.Anybody got suggestions?? Maybe a hub with a narrower spacing between the spoke flanges????

Would an inch larger disc move the caliper up enough that the spokes would be narrow enough to clear?
When I built this one A 1/2 inch smaller rotor wouldn't let it clear as it was I ground everything off the back I thought wasn't structural! It has about a sixteenth clearance to the spokes!and not much more from the rivets in the rotor to the springs. OBTW That's a 750 honda disc and caliper on a Sporty wheel in a 50 Indian frame.
Dusty

paknsand
07-09-2017, 9:24 AM
Well the rotor I have is 11 1/2...., think next weekend is going to involve a trip to a motorcycle salvage yard, see if I can find something off a dirt bike that will fit the bill

DustyDave
07-09-2017, 9:41 AM
Before you buy anything bolt the rotor on and start sliding the caliper down the rotor till it hits spokes them measure then you will know if it will work before you drag something home. When you are at the salvage look for thinner callipers. If you have to go to a real thin rotor there is always the probability of warpage problems on a heavier application.
Dusty