PDA

View Full Version : Whos running a baker 6 in a 4?

montuckymatt
07-05-2017, 9:31 PM
Looking for any info/opinions on running a baker 6 in a 4 vs. the stock 4 speed.

SamHain
07-05-2017, 10:15 PM
My buddy has one, if I could keep my shovel running longer than a trip I'd get one, hell probably keep it runnin.

If you want to go fast four speed just doesn't cut it, I run 41/61 and 25/49, first is pretty worthless and still looking for another gear in fourth.

Cory
07-06-2017, 9:33 AM
I found a deal on a used one and bought it a few years ago. Put it in my bike and never looked back. My old 4 gear was leaking and clanking. Finding neutral was getting tough. The Baker is so smooth. Shifts awesome. And when geared right these old motors can live at highway speeds.
In fact I ended up buying a 2nd Baker for my other bike.

The bad:

Price. They're pricey!

They don't "look" stock. The lid isn't a ratchet style, and the kicker sticks out a bit further.

Pipes and shit don't fit. Not a big deal if you can make a set on your own, but something to think about if not. I hear a few places make pipes to fit them, but I never looked into that. Plus anything else in that area might have to be moved/modified. (oil tank mounts etc)

Different speed sensor. You can't run an old cable driven speedo with these.

So installation is the worst of it. Once in, it really is a set it and forget it. The best part is not having to worry about it again. My old 4 speed had issues and always leaked. Now I don't even give it a thought.