PDA

View Full Version : VLX mono strut/upper bolt question?

CrackityJones
07-03-2017, 8:42 PM
Quick question, here.

I fabricated a hard-tail strut using square tubing. I noticed that when I was installing the strut that the upper bolt ( the allen bolt, under the tank) was pulling into the mounting hole. The head of the allen side of the bolt is the same size as the hole that the bolt is run through, if that makes any sense. The bolt has pulled all the way through and is torqued up against my actual strut, on the left hand side.. I have checked the service manual schematics, and there are no washers or anything of the sort here.. Am I missing something?

Even with a spacer (which I am going to have to make, anyway, as my strut is just about an 1/8 of an inch thinner than the mounting width) I feel like this set up is pretty shady...

I am hoping someone who has experience with a vlx will know what i am talking about and offer me a little insight..

thanks in advance

Jasonisdico
07-03-2017, 8:59 PM
Pictures will answer a ton of questions. Post some up and someone should have a solution for ya.

CrackityJones
07-03-2017, 11:15 PM
I will try to get out there tomorrow and snap some photos..

sdustin
07-04-2017, 2:22 AM
You rode with the strut?

OleDirtyDoc
07-04-2017, 12:47 PM
could use a bolt with a bigger head...

CrackityJones
07-05-2017, 4:56 PM
Yeah, I rode around the block, very slowly.. Stupid, I know, but nothing horrible happened, so we are all good. I'm planning on adding my spacers and getting some photos tonight, if the weather holds out.. It looks to me, based off of the exploded diagram, and just the way the mounting holes are, that this area is just designed like this.. It's very odd, but if it is safe, then I am not worried about it.

CrackityJones
07-05-2017, 4:59 PM
I have considered using a larger headed bolt, but I don't know if the clearance inside the hole will work with anything much bigger than what is currently in it..

CrackityJones
07-05-2017, 6:29 PM
Here is the mounting hole.. I tried throwing in a washer, but the bolt is not long enough to allow adequate threads for the nut, on the other side.. I guess ts just designed this way? It's very strange. I have looked at other "professional" hardtail struts, from TJ brutal, and such.. None of them come with washers or make any mention of any extra parts that are needed... I guess Ill just add some washers/spacers and call it a day..

CrackityJones
07-05-2017, 6:48 PM
77738A shot with the bolt in place..

Jasonisdico
07-05-2017, 6:52 PM
It looks to me like the bolt is supposed to suck that far in. Does the strut wobble or rattle in place?

farmall
07-06-2017, 9:44 AM
If adding washers sacrifices thread engagement you can always buy a longer bolt.

If your bolt choice may require shortening to fit, buy two nuts along with the bolt. Lock the nuts against each other to hold your bolt in a vise for shortening. Cut bolt (zip disc is my preference), deburr the cut area, then run the nuts over it to ensure easy fitment.

CrackityJones
07-06-2017, 11:43 AM
When everything is torqued up, no, there is no play in the strut, or the bolt.

CrackityJones
07-06-2017, 11:47 AM
The issue with adding a washer is that there is only about a millimeter of wall for the washer to sit against.. What I have done is just add spacers to the extra space on the inside, by the strut.. If the shock was mounted this way, I see no reason why mounting the strut this way would be any different..

I still think it is a strange design, though..

sdustin
07-07-2017, 2:58 AM
I'm just going to give my opinions on solid struts. They seem pointless. Especially with the vlx where the shock isn't visible anyway. And with that bike actually chopping it and hardtailing it is super easy. Why not just go all the way if you want hardtail or leave the shock if your still running side covers?

sdustin
07-07-2017, 2:59 AM
And as far as your question that bolt is supposed to run into the recess. With a shock it's not an issue. With a strut I have no idea.

CrackityJones
07-07-2017, 9:35 AM
I plan on adding a "true" hard tail at some point. I have never ridden on a rigid bike, and I wanted to test it out before I make a commitment. I also want to be the one that does all of the work on this bike, including welding. I am using my time with the strut as time to improve my welding skills to the point that I am confident enough to weld the hard tail in myself..

As for leaving the shock, I do not like the stance of the bike with the shock in.. The line from the neck to the axle plates is very awkward, it throws the whole bike off, in my opinion.

huviduc24
07-07-2017, 9:51 AM
I may be wrong here as I fully hard tailed my bike awhile ago so I cant check. But that bolt with the Allen head needs to come in from the other side which has a smaller hole. The nut, which is larger, goes on that side.

sdustin
07-07-2017, 1:32 PM
I just reviewed my pics from my first bike build which was a vlx, the Allen is on the left side same as ingintion. The nut goes on the right side. Huviduc you are partially right. The recess is bigger for the nut but he has it on the correct side.

huviduc24
07-10-2017, 6:09 AM
I just reviewed my pics from my first bike build which was a vlx, the Allen is on the left side same as ingintion. The nut goes on the right side. Huviduc you are partially right. The recess is bigger for the nut but he has it on the correct side.
Thanks for confirming, it was worth a shot :cheersmate: