PDA

View Full Version : PhotoBucket just killed all forums!

Rebelocity
07-03-2017, 1:07 PM
Is anyone else livid with this blatant blackmail ransom from PhotoBucket?! I now have hundreds of broken picture links on half a dozen forums ive been using for 10 years!!! There is no way Im going to rehost and repost them all. I see a bunch of class action lawsuits coming for you photoucket! Go take a long walk off a short pier!
Does it affect you too?

tzienlee
07-03-2017, 2:55 PM
I have never used photobucket or any other 3rd party,... all my posts of photos come from my computers picture files,... seems like they only do thumbnail pics but click on them and the full size photo is there.... but that might even be down to me not knowing my way round athe settings of the computer or the sites size limits ??....

Bbqbiker
07-03-2017, 3:10 PM
Is anyone else livid with this blatant blackmail ransom from PhotoBucket?! I now have hundreds of broken picture links on half a dozen forums ive been using for 10 years!!! There is no way Im going to rehost and repost them all. I see a bunch of class action lawsuits coming for you photoucket! Go take a long walk off a short pier!
Does it affect you too?

It does suck but you can't sue for what you were given for free and after agreeing to their terms and conditions by using their service. I left them a voicemail hoping to talk to someone to negotiate a better price

Rebelocity
07-03-2017, 4:01 PM
I have never used photobucket or any other 3rd party,... all my posts of photos come from my computers picture files,... seems like they only do thumbnail pics but click on them and the full size photo is there.... but that might even be down to me not knowing my way round athe settings of the computer or the sites size limits ??....

Probably a good idea to just host the pics myself, that way I wont have to deal with extortionists... My issue was always about what if i lose or break my laptop/harddrive. Then all my pics are gone forever. I guess I got that all backwards haha.

Rebelocity
07-03-2017, 4:07 PM
It does suck but you can't sue for what you were given for free and after agreeing to their terms and conditions by using their service. I left them a voicemail hoping to talk to someone to negotiate a better price

I totally understand that beggars cant be choosers... I just wish they gave us a heads up so I could transfer all my files to a different hosting company. Some peoples livelihoods were seriously affected by this and I dont think the law has covered a situation like this before. I read that some people who live off buying and selling on ebay for example have over 100 ebay posts with broken photo links now. Also a bunch of legitimate bloggers lost years of images. If there is a Class Action suit i think it would be about the lack of notification time for those people to make other arrangements. This should be interesting to follow and i think some new internet regulations/laws might come out of it. It really is unprecedented.

farmall
07-03-2017, 5:51 PM
Ebay photo hosting is easy enough to use for each advert. I found the habit of using other hosting for Ebay odd. A heads up would have been nice but I never got a Photobucket account because (as we see in this case) a single host is a single point of failure.

My issue was always about what if i lose or break my laptop/harddrive.

I burn shit that matters in duplicate or more to DVD at the slowest possible burn speed for best burn. (I've used that method since 2000 burning OS install CDs which have to boot reliably.) A virus cannot wipe a finalized DVD. You can buy archival media. Test your backups.

If your PC doesn't have a DVD burner, get an external with good reviews. They can be very useful.

Never have only one PC. Never have only one hard disk. SSDs are cheap. Google Drive etc can hold considerable data and you can have multiple accounts.

Keep very important data in more than two places including offsite. If my house burns down I'll still have most of my data.

While I mostly use Thunderbird on Linux, I use Thunderbird Portable on a Windows machine because I can burn the portable program folder DVD. I can then copy the program folder to a PC or to a Windows VM on any host to read my archived messages if for some reason I lose account access.

I also collect operating systems so I can install whatever I want to bare metal.

Ask yourself a few questions:

If your computer or its hard disk dies or gets stolen today, what don't you have redundant backups for? What will you lose?

You can practice doing OS installs etc on a spare PC. Anything 2008 or later is enough for basic tasks. Use your "good" PC to study while playing with another. Being able to troubleshoot and reload computers is a useful skill just like working on your motorcycle.

Modern malware can make your current hard drive inaccessible beyond even professional ability to rescue.

If your information isn't worth backing up you shouldn't miss it when it's gone.

Don't forget to PRINT your usernames and passwords periodically when you update them. Thunderbird and FIrefox can export mail passwords via the Password Exporter extension.

nickey
07-04-2017, 5:17 AM
Yea. Pretty shitty of them.

I got an Imgur account so I could use them. But I'll have to figure out how to post pics from my phone on here I guess. If you even can. A lot of stuff on this site is not mobile friendly.

47str8leg
07-04-2017, 8:58 AM
One thing I did which may ( or may not ) save me is I didn't sign any agreements with them over the last couple of years. I noticed that I could still get to my pictures through the "Horse backstreet choppers" forum without agreeing to what they wanted.
I don't like signing anything for anyone.
I'm in a construction union , when I start work for a new company you usually have to wade through a pile of paperwork. Usually there is some release form to allow a 3rd party to do a check on you and that you will be accountable to THEIR terms . I ALWAYS conviently fold up this sheet and any others like it and take them with me. HR rarely checks ,and if they do , they send it out in your paycheck or have a project manager ( who could give a flying fuck) bring it out. "Sign it and I'll pick it up the next time I'm here."
I forget about it, they forget about it , HR forgets about it.
Mission accomplished.
I also have gotten away with this on sports sign up release paperwork for my kids.
I sign up over the phone, they send the release , I don't sign it.
Worse that happens is I don't get the schedule. Then I ask one of the parents to e-mail it or take a screen shot with their phone and message it to me.
I don't tell them why , just say I'm not getting it.