PDA

View Full Version : How do I mount this thing?

Williamtennal
07-01-2017, 11:45 AM
I recently purchased a 97 sportster.
I'm currently trying to mount a lowbrow axed tank I bought. How do I mount this thing?
I've seen plenty of examples of welding a bung in the frame, but I don't have a welder. Any other methods?

Any help is much appreciated.

Anthiron
07-01-2017, 2:28 PM
You could just drill holes in your frame top tube and run a tap through them. It won't be a matter of if it breaks though.
Just when.

I would find someone who can make you two top hat bungs (Or buy them from low brow) and find someone local to your welding.

nickey
07-02-2017, 3:23 PM
Lowbrow sells the adapters so you don't have to weld bungs. I was gonna run an aftermarket tank. Changed my mind but when I was buying supplies I got some rivnuts. Same as you no welder. And thought I'd try to do it all by myself. They work pretty much like a rivet but have the threads you need to mount the tank. Not sure if they'd hold up as I didn't go thru with it but there's some threads that pop up on google if you search. Try rivnut or nutsert in your search. Good luck

tzienlee
07-02-2017, 4:47 PM
DO NOT DRILL A HOLE & USE A RIVNUT or a WELL NUT !!.... the frame will be weakened with the hole,... you will need to use a welded in Steel Bung to retain the integrity of the frame....they are cheap as hell and a welder shouldn't charge you more than $10 to fix it

nickey
07-04-2017, 12:21 AM
DO NOT DRILL A HOLE & USE A RIVNUT or a WELL NUT !!.... the frame will be weakened with the hole,... you will need to use a welded in Steel Bung to retain the integrity of the frame....they are cheap as hell and a welder shouldn't charge you more than $10 to fix it

Experience with these? Like I said I didn't follow thru with it but had read it on a forum suggesting them. Seems like it would be the same as a welded in bung. Just without being welded in. You're still drilling a hole and filling the hole with something.

RalphFonz
07-05-2017, 9:25 PM
the guy before me had an aftermarket low brow tank put on and its drilled to the frame. 3 years later its fine. I dont treat my sporty very well either