PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Bike-Help

JessicaWarren
08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Just bought a bike that's been sitting in a barn for 10 years, It's covered in dirt and grease, what's the best/safest soap to use? Thank you :)

GreaseStain
08-24-2009, 10:47 AM
this will sound crazy .. and if i hadn't seen a far more experienced fellow than myself do this recently id call it a smart ass remark.... Power washer.......that shit was amazing and didn't hurt anything started before and started after he did it ... might use some foaming degreaser on the non painted parts then blast with power washer..just let it dry before you try and start it again

im sure there are other ways but i saw that done in like.. 10 min tops ..

beezerglide
08-24-2009, 11:08 AM
what's the bike?
don't use simply green it's an oxidizer for aluminum.
watched a guy do it to a big bear chopper with alot of billet aluminum parts caused everything to haze up real bad made the bike look bad not just ugly.

JessicaWarren
08-24-2009, 11:52 AM
kz 440

I thought power washing would be bad for the bike?

djmfnk
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
gunk engine brite. warm up the bike, spray it on, let it sit for a bit. spray it off. it gets all grease and crap off of it. let the motor cool off before hitting it with water.

GreaseStain
08-24-2009, 12:45 PM
kz 440

I thought power washing would be bad for the bike?

you know i thought the same thing until i saw it done.. just ya know don't bare down on the electrics and take it easy around critical areas.. like plugs and carbs ect ya know .. but yea im sure there's another way thats just a fast one

eightthirtysixcc
08-24-2009, 2:12 PM
Power washing can be bad because with enough pressure you can push dirt into places it should not be. You do not want dirt in your bearings.

Buy some penetrating oil (spray in a can) and load that sucker up let it sit and hose it off. Then get out the wire brushes and spit/polish. WD-40 and crumpled up aluminum foil brings back chrome to near new.

superflysnow
08-24-2009, 6:18 PM
x2... elbow grease works good!

a bucket of soapy water a couple brushes, and a sponge or two...

Heres the thing w/ power washers, they work great until they fuck something up, which they will.

take a few hours, get to know your bike, find out where the leaks are or were or whatever (the muck will tell the story) it is the ONLY way to properly clean it. Once you fuck around with chemicals, power washers etc. it is inevitable that at some point you will have a bearing failure because you accedentally sprayed out all the grease without knowing it, or the "simple green" oxidizes aluminum or causes rubber fork boots to prematurely wear etc...

I use wd40 on my chrome too, but with a scrubby pad... makes the stupid looking chrome go away and leaves you with that BCM style brushed look, chrome polish works good to polish chrome

justin666
08-24-2009, 9:02 PM
power wash badddddddddd

mjasen10
08-25-2009, 7:46 PM
Power washing can be bad because with enough pressure you can push dirt into places it should not be. You do not want dirt in your bearings.

Buy some penetrating oil (spray in a can) and load that sucker up let it sit and hose it off. Then get out the wire brushes and spit/polish. WD-40 and crumpled up aluminum foil brings back chrome to near new.

AMEN! stay away from the power washer, you can easily fuck up wheel bearings, etc.penetrating oil and degreaser work great for old nasty shit like that.nevr dull is nice too

GreaseStain
08-25-2009, 8:54 PM
wow.. well i guess stay away from the power washer .. while i wouldn't personally use this method i would think it would be common sense to not blast critical areas.. like bearings for example.. but to use it for more non critical areas to speed things up maybe i should have been more clear in that... .. but who needs to go fast anyway .. its far better in the long run to take it slow and do it all by hand im sure

sandblaster maybe.. i mean i was sitting for 10 years right :) couldn't resist..

Cheers