PDA

View Full Version : Headlight killing ignition

papowerstroke
06-26-2017, 9:37 AM
So i have a 79 xs with boyer ignition, hhb pma, capacitor obviously running no battery. I have the bike wired up and everything works great. Brake lights, ignition, speedo backlight, but occasionally when i turn on my headlight it kills the ignition. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I go to kick the bike over again and the lights come on as the motor spins but i get 0 spark. Shut the lights off, kick it, starts fine. Like i said sometimes i can turn the headlight on and it will run fine. Rpm does not affect this at all. Its like my ignition is getting grounded out somehow. I have tried a bates style headlight and a low draw led light so i dont think it is pulling too much voltage. Has anyone had something like this happen before? My wiring diagram is identical to the second picture on this thread:http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17549

Jasonisdico
06-27-2017, 7:21 PM
Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Pull the headlight out of the bucket and check where it's grounding out. If not in the bucket, trace the wires back. It's possible the wire is getting pinched in the fork stops depending on where you ran it.

GNARAD
06-27-2017, 11:04 PM
Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Pull the headlight out of the bucket and check where it's grounding out. If not in the bucket, trace the wires back. It's possible the wire is getting pinched in the fork stops depending on where you ran it.

Had the exact same problem and this was the exact same solution

papowerstroke
06-28-2017, 11:29 PM
So i rewired the ignition on a seperate circuit with a fuse then wired my lights back in. Have to start the bike then turn the light on but everything works great now. One step closer to being done