PDA

View Full Version : How to fit handlebars to smaller triple tree?

AceRider
06-25-2017, 12:37 AM
I recently got a great deal on some victory vee drag bars and knowing full well they wouldn't fit my v star 650 triple tree I purchased them anyway, hoping to figure out how to make them work. The new bars mount about half an inch out on either side from the current holes, and there's a good chance they'll overslap if new holes are drilled; what are my options? Outside of giving up on the new bars ;p

I'm on a pretty tight budget, and kind of making this up as I go along; but so far the options I've considered are filling the existing holes with some sort of metal filler and then drilling new ones beside them, but they may not be stable. I've also considered having a custom top triple clamp made, but that seems ridiculously pricey. One local shop suggested having the holes welded shut and new ones drilled, but mentioned the machinework could run me 'thousands' (seemed excessive). An engineer friend mentioned fashioning some sort of adapter piece overtop, but that seems a bit elaborate.

Is there anything I'm overlooking or an easy/inexpensive way to accomplish one of the above options?

Tattooo
06-25-2017, 8:29 AM
Just remember it's not a great deal unless you can use them or resale them and make money..... I think you need to buy some bars that fit your bike and don't waste anymore more money on those bars.... Handle bars are cheap...

BlackCloudSalvage
06-25-2017, 9:08 AM
You could cut the lower area of the V and space accordingly by add a piece of tube \_/ \___/ instead of V. This will work whether you are shortening the distance between risers or lengthening.

BlackCloudSalvage
06-25-2017, 9:11 AM
If they are too wide right now you could do the measurements and cut the correct angle and have the sharp V brought back together and welded. Still, bunch of work for cheap "deal" bars.

AceRider
06-28-2017, 11:20 PM
Just remember it's not a great deal unless you can use them or resale them and make money..... I think you need to buy some bars that fit your bike and don't waste anymore more money on those bars.... Handle bars are cheap...
Haha, true, Tattooo, but in the world of fabrication shouldn't anything be possible? And bars aren't quite as cheap in Canada; the bars I bought normally cost around $600-700 here, and I got them for under $100. More importantly the bars that caught my eye are only made for Victory bikes. This project I'm working on is all about getting my dream machine out of what little I can afford. :)

And BlackCloud, I hadn't considered altering the bars themselves, not a bad idea! Though I'd worry about losing the stylistic look I'm looking for. Plus either way welding would be involved, which is probably the priciest option. Definitely one to add to the list, though!

Tattooo
06-29-2017, 7:45 AM
Haha, true, Tattooo, but in the world of fabrication shouldn't anything be possible? And bars aren't quite as cheap in Canada; the bars I bought normally cost around $600-700 here, and I got them for under $100. More importantly the bars that caught my eye are only made for Victory bikes. This project I'm working on is all about getting my dream machine out of what little I can afford. :)

Yep anything can be done with enough time and money.... I figured you would want to ride the bike and not work on it for weeks.... But I'm glad you figured out what to do.... Take some pics in case others would like to go your wrought....