PDA

View Full Version : How to: Remote master cylinder?

AceRider
06-25-2017, 12:29 AM
Hey guys, so I'm trying to set up a remote front master cylinder to clean up my bars. I've seen a lot of threads showing off custom builds around the web, but very few people specifying what exactly is needed and how to make it function. I'm new to the world of bike customization so I asked around at a few shops and no one knew what I was talking about haha

So far I've purchased the appropriate rear brake master cylinder with correct bore size, and a pair of replica European style levers with no reservoir. Once the parts arrive, how do I make it work? From the images it looks like the levers pull a cable wire that activate a pulley system, that then activate the master cylinder. From there it runs a hose to the caliper that operates the brake, is that correct?

If that's all correct, my question is is there a particular cable needed; is it a repurposed clutch cable or something else? And I've seen the fabkevin kits, but what additional pieces do I need to recreate one of those? Thanks in advance!

Beefdrippings
06-26-2017, 10:11 AM
There is a thread here on CC from years ago describing this. Search for it. I'll try and find it as well

jonnyoz
06-26-2017, 11:50 AM
the quick answer is pretty much yes. You'll run a cable, similar idea to a clutch cable, from the hand lever to a new lever (new lever meaning a rotating bracket basically, one end pulled by the cable, other end pressing against the master cylinder pin, mounted to a shaft so it can rotate) mounted by the master cylinder. That lever by the master cylinder will basically act the same as a brake pedal...except the input is a pulling cable instead of your pushing foot.

You can get cables made to length, or make them yourself. You could use a clutch cable but would need an extra end, like the end that goes into the lever. You can just heat these and pull them off, then push it on to the sheathing that you've cut to length.

To actually attach the cable to the bracket at the master cylinder: just need a heim joint and a bolt. Drill out the bolt, stick the cable through, solder on a barrell to the end, then thread the bolt into the heim joint and bolt the joint to the lever/bracket.

AceRider
06-28-2017, 11:12 PM
That's fantastic information and just the kind of specifics I needed; I appreciate that jonnyoz! I also found the following video demonstrating one in action: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YVAA1FuEBOY Is there any way to mount one of these without welding? My plan is to try and keep it somewhere discreet, but where I can still access the reservoir easily.