PDA

View Full Version : Transmission drive pulley

thackertommy
06-22-2017, 7:16 PM
Hello,

I was in the middle of disassembly of a 2007 XL883. I noticed that the drive belt was loose when I removed the side cover. I then noticed that the pulley has a lot of play in it. I removed the nut retainer plate, and the nut, and the shaft is definitely loose. I have never removed a pulley, but it appears that the bearing is out of the sleeve about an 1/8 inch or so. I am going to get this corrected before I go any further with tearing it down, and I would appreciate some input.

I am going to attach some pics. Thanks

Tattooo
06-22-2017, 8:01 PM
That's a spacer.....If that's what your pic is of... Do you have a Harley manual to help you out???

farmall
06-23-2017, 7:44 AM
Good OP for posting a clear photograph!

Good OP for asking questions!

STOP, get a factory service manual and factory parts catalog

Study them before each task you do. You'll be much happier. There's good reason Air Force mechanics are require to have tech data available no matter what the task even if they've done it a thousand times.

DoomBuggy
06-23-2017, 11:01 AM
^^^^ This ^^^^

I brought our Jeep home last weekend and am getting it ready to pass along to another of our kids. Cleaning up a few things fixing this and that and I needed to pull the door panel off to look at the window regulator. I have pulled hundreds of door panels off in my time, but I just sat there looking at this one and scratching my head. Jeeps are normally really easy to take apart.

Bought a $20.00 pdf of the manual online and sure enough there was a hidden little access hole. I am sure I saved at least $20.00 in Scotch as I did not have to drink near as much to get the job done!

-H

habib
06-23-2017, 1:44 PM
Not trying to hijack, but could a loose pulley/sprocket (I have a chain conversion) cause a whirring/whining noise?

thackertommy
06-26-2017, 7:08 PM
Thanks Guys. I have a manual, and a 5th gear/ bearing puller headed to me this week.

thackertommy
06-28-2017, 2:16 PM
Well the tool I ordered was incorrect even though a rep a Jim's Perfromance gave me the "correct" number to order. Jim's doesnt sell direct, so I purchased it at Dennis Kirk. I called Dennis Kirk, and I am able to get a full refund less $7 return shipping. That is amazing to me, I expected to loose quite a bit over returning it. I am totally stoked about Dennis Kirk, and I will definitely order from them in the future.