View Full Version : Custom bike registration (TN)

06-21-2017, 2:59 PM
I have a '02 bagger I'm parting out. I'm going to put the engine/trans in a rigid frame. When I sell the bagger frame the title will go with it. From my understanding when registering a custom bike you have to provide a bill of sale and receipts for all the parts used proving they aren't stolen. How do I get around this with the engine and trans since I won't have the title?? Thanks in advance.

06-21-2017, 6:11 PM
I never titled a home build, but seems if you had the bike registered there is already a record that you owned the parts. Recommendation...don't sell the frame before you title your build.

06-22-2017, 7:51 AM
do not sell the frame until you have assembled the build, you will be sorry.

06-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Title it in Vermont and get it transfered. Don't know about Tennessee but it worked for me in ohio.

06-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Title it in Vermont and get it transfered. Don't know about Tennessee but it worked for me in ohio.

I would love to hear about this. Did they inspect or anything? I knew there was process for lost titles but I thought it applied to small bikes only. You have my attention, sir!

06-22-2017, 1:53 PM
There's a thread on here somewhere about doing it but here's another.

I did this with a Paugcho frame and it's registered as a Paugcho not a homebuild.

Trailer or ride your bike to your local BMV and get a vin inspection done. It doesn't have to be complete. All they do it verify your name and the vin plate on the bike frame.

Fill out the Vermont title registration form and mail that with a check for the fees, the vin inspection form and a bill of sale or MSO for the bike.

6 weeks later you should revieve your Vermont plate and registration card as long as everything went right.

Then get another VIn instection done and take that form and your Vermont registration to your local BMV and get a conversion title.