PDA

View Full Version : Damn frame twisted

swbiill
06-29-2010, 7:15 PM
Well kinda,, I just finished final welding my frame up on my xs. I had the rear axel plates spaced with a 2" pipe, everything was tight,braced and supported. Few hours after welding I removed the pipe support from between the axel plates and it sprang in 1/4". Really pissed that I took every precaution and it still happened. Decided to call it a night so I will find out later how screwed I am.

tobiism
06-29-2010, 7:40 PM
As long as the axle plates are still level its no big deal. you can spread the axle plates back out with a scissors jack. Measure to make sure they're still plumb and level and you'll be fine.

swbiill
06-29-2010, 8:25 PM
That's what I was hoping I could do but wasn't sure it would work. Good to know,thanks

Tigman
06-30-2010, 6:45 AM
bill that is typical. the welds shrink the joint. like tobiism said just spread the rear section. sometimes one side will pull in more than the other. you can check this by holding a long straight edge like a 4' level against the rear section and measure from the level to the backbone to see if the rear tubes are parallel to the backbone. check both sides and in two places, up near the neck and again near the seat...and one more thing is next time after you tack the hardtail on you can use a longer piece of pipe or wood like about 1/4" longer.. Then after it cools down you can knock it out and it won't have shrunk in as much....