PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country Traveling Advice

danielschopcult
06-16-2017, 6:45 AM
Will be heading out on a cross-country motorcycle trip with a friend in a few weeks. Departing from new england - northern route down to Cali - southern route back up. Only planned major stops will be national parks, everything else in between is spontaneous. Will be covering over 10,000 miles and mostly camping very minimally along the way. Would highly appreciate any advice / tips / tricks and even places to stay or recommendation on good repair shops / must visit places along the way. Any information helps! Thanks!

triumphbruce
06-16-2017, 7:59 AM
if you cut up through Michigan i am in oscoda on lake Huron. us23 is a nice drive along the lake
to the big mac bridge to the UP.turn left US2 is a good northern route.you can turn south in several
places.you can also cut across canada and come into michigan at port huron north of detroit or the soo
in the up.

tzienlee
06-16-2017, 8:09 AM
Avoid New Jersey Like the plague !!.......State troopers are Nazi's and there is fuck all there to see anyway.....

Tattooo
06-16-2017, 8:24 AM
As far as shops goes what kind of bikes are you riding??

Also how far South are you going?? Be sure and ride the Blue Ridge parkway if you do I can tell you some great roads to ride off of it...

Be safe...

RickG61
06-16-2017, 8:30 AM
I camp in lots of State Parks. Usually pretty decent campgrounds for a fairly decent price. Not sure of all states, but I know that Michigan charges you an extra fee if you're out of state. As stated above, do the Mighty Mac, just watch the weather/wind conditions before doing so. Gets WINDY up dere. LOL Of course the Badlands are badass to visit. Gets pretty toasty there during the summer days. If you've done Sturgis before, you already know that tho. AVOID Shitcago and the nasty web of interstates around there., at least during the day. Not unusual to be sitting in the middle of 4 lanes, cooking your engine and going no where. If you're gonna ride through there, plan it after rush hours, which seem to be between 8 am and 7:59 am the next morning. LOL There is a lane on the left to pull over if you're having issues, and it makes for a nice, ahem, slide by the traffic and keep moving lane, but the Shitcago PD don't have much of a sense of humor, even for overheated bikes, and that lane usually has a lot of trash you need to watch for.

image1
06-16-2017, 8:32 AM
if you roll through OH, you are welcome to stop/stay at my place. tools/parts/beers/herbs. I'm near I-75 & US30 intersection

tips> the southern route is hot, plan to do some night riding to beat the heat.

US-50 in Colorado is pretty sweet. Moab, UT is very cool. Grand Canyon. Rt. 66/Oatman, AZ.

RickG61
06-16-2017, 8:35 AM
Oh, and if National Parks are your main objective, you may already know or have bought the yearly pass. They all charge admission, but that pass is only like $80 bucks plus or minus, depending on your age, and it'll pay for itself real quick if you hit a lot of those parks. Sadly, the Midwest is lacking in National parks.

DoomBuggy
06-16-2017, 9:17 AM
Mark Twain National Park in Missouri used to be a great place to camp ( and fish ), out southwest I love camping in the Painted Desert ( if they still allow that) sunrise therenis spectacular. I would stay out out of the Phoenix area due to traffic but the mountains around there are very cool. If you are adventurous hit the Apache Trail, twisties that sometime turn into gravel so watch yourself, but the views are unreal. Be careful if you cross Death Valley, it really is better done at night as it gets hot like a freaking oven.

I am envious, I used to love these kind of trips

Strangler
06-16-2017, 1:36 PM
Not much to see West of Ohio until mid-Colorado, so if time permits I would also recommend running north through Michigan and US2 on out- Its cooler and scenery in Michigan's UP through Minnesota is great. Good camping along that route too. I would have a hard time deciding to come back through the southern states in the summer- The suggestion to ride at night is a good one, but its too damn hot to camp (sleep) during the day. Have a great trip!

Assistance in SE Michigan here if you come this way and need anything. Camping room too in Howell, Mi. 517-304-1972 Scott

DoomBuggy
06-18-2017, 8:03 AM
So I just got home yesterday from a drive from Denver to Chicago I-80 all the way. ( My youngest daughter just bought her very own first car and I went and got my Jeep back from her ).

Strangler is right MAN WHAT A BORING DRIVE! Other than watching the MASSIVE storm hit northern Kansas it was just FLAT. My normal trip out west is down along the old RT66 trail ( I-40 ). That one can be pretty boring but at least you have a little geography and you get get off the expressway and drive along stretches of the old RT66 which IS very cool. ( there are several books that give you ideas of where to get off ).

ridgerunner1965
06-18-2017, 7:12 PM
carry a gun. i remember years ago maybe 97. we took a wrong turn in kc. we took a bad wrong turn. 3 bikes following our truck.10 in the morn.we stopped at a lite. bunch of locals on the street corner. they spread out like oil on water and was running our way. my brother was yelling at his wife who was driving the truck,go just fucking go!, run the red lite.

she did run the lite. there were probaly 30 locals running at us. only one of us were armed. and he wud of had to get his pistol out of his bags on his sporty..

we drove thru 5 miles of deserted buildings weeds and broken bottles and there were 4 cops lined up in the medien eating donuts and and bullshitting. ill never ride and not carry again

Tattooo
06-18-2017, 8:03 PM
I'm wondering where the guy is that opened this thread is???

FredoSNR
06-19-2017, 2:13 AM
Ive pitched tents in Wal Mart parking lots many times. They will not bother you, and its nice to know there is surveillance and security for your bike while sleeping.

danielschopcult
06-20-2017, 6:43 AM
thanks so much for the advice everyone! will take all your opinions into consideration. we will be leaving in a few weeks and ill try to post some updates on here as we make our way to california. cheers!

danielschopcult
06-20-2017, 6:44 AM
As far as shops goes what kind of bikes are you riding??

Also how far South are you going?? Be sure and ride the Blue Ridge parkway if you do I can tell you some great roads to ride off of it...

Be safe...

hey man! we're both riding sporsters. as of now it looks like we're gonna bomb it to south dakota (badlands) through canada and then start taking our time there and making our way through the west coast. both of us grew up on the east coast so our main interest is checking out the other side. hard to say how far south at this time. what do you recommended? cheers man!