PDA

View Full Version : Help S&S Super E

BuddhahoodVato
06-06-2017, 6:24 PM
I tread awhile back that you have to plug up something on S&S carb, when you ditch the OG backing plate etc.
I am humble enough to state, I know nothing about S&S carbs. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if this is the last time I mess with one.
I had the thread saved, but I can not find it.
Pics of the carb, and the cheese grater AC I will be running.

spsgold
06-06-2017, 10:36 PM
I've heard the same thing...I run a super e on my 80" shovel and have run 4 different styles of air cleaners without ever pluggin anything....I say just try running it as is and see if you have any problems, I'm bettin big money that you don't!
FYI It's the hole below the enrichener, just above the left mount screw for the cleaner in your first pic.

Jeremy24
06-07-2017, 5:37 AM
on 1980 and up model shovelheads on the backing plate for s and s carbs there is a threaded hole for your crankcase vent line to go to. You can vent it through a small pod filter if you don't have the right backing plate.

pantspisser
06-07-2017, 8:31 AM
on 1980 and up model shovelheads on the backing plate for s and s carbs there is a threaded hole for your crankcase vent line to go to. You can vent it through a small pod filter if you don't have the right backing plate.

This is it +1.

You'll also have to remove the "Auxiliary Bowl Vent." It's just a plain Allen key threaded plug.

BuddhahoodVato
06-07-2017, 9:37 AM
Circle what you guys are referring too please, please. On the pics I posted. Do not know shit about S&S's.

Jeremy24
06-07-2017, 10:15 AM
What year is ur motor ?

pantspisser
06-07-2017, 10:49 AM
77288Circled in red is factory stock bowl vent hole. This vent keeps the air bubble at the top of the fuel bowl at a constant equalized pressure. If the bubble becomes positively pressurized you'll force fuel up through the jets, run fat nasty rich and eventually deplete the bowl of fuel at a faster rate than most fuel petcock can replenish it causing the engine to die via fuel starvation. If the bubble becomes a vacuum or negative pressure it won't allow fuel to flow into the bowl at all and again cause fuel starvation. So vented bowls are important.

Most aftermarket air filters block this vent hole (though upon further observation it looks like your air filter is an exception and has a notch for it) so S&S puts an "Auxiliary vent plug" on the bottom of the carb indicated by the blue arrow. You simply remove it and your bowl is vented directly to unfiltered atmospheric air. If you can keep the plug in, do so, this way it will be vented to filtered air.

Vato is talking about a rubber breather tube that provides filtered air to your motors oiling system. However without knowing the year of your motor we can't tell you how to properly plumb this, additionally a photo of the backing plate fully installed could help. Odds are the previous owner just vented the oil system to unfiltered atmosphere, which is why this may seem confusing, because it is already done.

BuddhahoodVato
06-07-2017, 1:37 PM
Slab 69, oils fine.
Thanks going to fuck with this gurl now

SSCycle
06-07-2017, 2:52 PM
Correct! Check to see if your air cleaner blocks this hole - if it does, there is the alternate vent hole to use.
As far as tuning and jetting, check our Youtube channel for videos, and you can always call our tech guys for free help! (866-244-2673)

Dragstews
06-07-2017, 3:11 PM
Elvira came back as a blonde ..???

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/9a/67/2f/9a672f2295d9ed8a21f694e3d4236cd9.jpg

BuddhahoodVato
06-08-2017, 8:33 AM
Gracias a Todos and $&$ for taking the time to lend a hand.

BuddhahoodVato
06-08-2017, 8:42 AM
Orale Drags, naw: my pic is of ruca of brown persuasion Q-Vole, Oh Thanks for sharing your skills, you hombre have some mad skills.

BuddhahoodVato
06-10-2017, 8:49 PM
Okay, got the slab running, had to take the head back to the machinist to land a new rocker stud.
While he's doing that i am going to clean the Super E, pulled the three screws on the bowl, but it did not come off, am I missing something.

ridgerunner1965
06-11-2017, 8:48 AM
Okay, got the slab running, had to take the head back to the machinist to land a new rocker stud.
While he's doing that i am going to clean the Super E, pulled the three screws on the bowl, but it did not come off, am I missing something.

yes the fourth screw.

DeathTrip
06-18-2017, 7:20 PM
Fourth screw is on the accelerator pump cover. It's long

farmall
06-19-2017, 7:21 AM
Nice time to replace those bowl screws with socket head screws for ease of future service.

Don't lose the little blue O-ring on the accel pump squirter, but you can replace it with any black Viton O-ring of the same size from the auto store (or buy a pack of 50 or 100 off Ebay for a few dollars and have a lifetime supply).

S&S are crude and simple, which is a virtue.