PDA

View Full Version : low speed wobble after adding a 21" front wheel to vt1100

savedsammy
06-02-2017, 4:57 PM
sent my hub to buchanan's to get laced and trued over the winter. balanced it and mounted it, added new wheel bearings, new metzler on front almost new dunlop on the back. road the bike about 300 miles with no problems. went out the other night for a short ride and while coasting down a hill at about 40 i got the violent death wobble so bad that it cracked my bars between the risers in two places. thought i was going down but didn't. pulled off the road, everything was tight. road home at low speed of course. i'v jacked the front end up and pulled forward and just barley moved neck i think. ordered neck bearings from allballs. my question is would adding the 21 up front from a 19 change the trail to make this happen?

bike is a 1999 honda shadow spirit with a ace front end. bike has 38000 miles with 16" apes. any help appreciated.77180

Tattooo
06-02-2017, 5:21 PM
sent my hub to buchanan's to get laced and trued over the winter. balanced it and mounted it, added new wheel bearings, new metzler on front almost new dunlop on the back. road the bike about 300 miles with no problems. went out the other night for a short ride and while coasting down a hill at about 40 i got the violent death wobble so bad that it cracked my bars between the risers in two places. thought i was going down but didn't. pulled off the road, everything was tight. road home at low speed of course. i'v jacked the front end up and pulled forward and just barley moved neck i think. ordered neck bearings from allballs. my question is would adding the 21 up front from a 19 change the trail to make this happen?

bike is a 1999 honda shadow spirit with a ace front end. bike has 38000 miles with 16" apes. any help appreciated.77180

You changed the neck???? Did I read that right?? Did you use a frame jig?? If not how did you go about what you did???

savedsammy
06-02-2017, 5:25 PM
no just changed from a stock 19" front wheel to a 21" wheel. i'v had the bike for 7 years and never had the death wobble. just thought i would change to allballs roller bearings in the neck. neck is still stock. should i just loose the 21 and go back to stock? or do you think this will fix the problem?

Tattooo
06-02-2017, 7:50 PM
Going from a 19 to a 21 shouldn't be a problem.... Something isn't straight or tight.... The neck bearing not being tight will cause that problem....Check everything again,
Good luck...

OleDirtyDoc
06-02-2017, 8:15 PM
Going from a 19 to a 21 shouldn't be a problem.... Something isn't straight or tight.... The neck bearing not being tight will cause that problem....Check everything again,
Good luck...

yup.just had a terrible wobble on my goldwing after changing front end to a 600 ninja front end.partially ground off the fork stops but still had some interference. at one point it would bind a little and that happened to be the point where I adjusted the bearing play.well needless to say,I didn't get all the play out.went into a violent death wobble at about 70 but pulled out of it.ground off the fork stops flush with bottom tree,reinstalled front end, set bearing play,and no more death wobble. might also be bad wheel bearings.my vn700 would dance around on bad pavement until I replaced the bearings

savedsammy
06-03-2017, 4:16 PM
yup.just had a terrible wobble on my goldwing after changing front end to a 600 ninja front end.partially ground off the fork stops but still had some interference. at one point it would bind a little and that happened to be the point where I adjusted the bearing play.well needless to say,I didn't get all the play out.went into a violent death wobble at about 70 but pulled out of it.ground off the fork stops flush with bottom tree,reinstalled front end, set bearing play,and no more death wobble. might also be bad wheel bearings.my vn700 would dance around on bad pavement until I replaced the bearings

thanks alot. I had the bike for seven years with the ace frontend with no problems. the wobble happened after i changed from 19" to 21" oh and i did put new wheel bearings in when i changed out the wheel. I hope its the neck bearings.

keep'um coming.

OleDirtyDoc
06-03-2017, 7:12 PM
lift bike so front wheel is off ground and check your bearing play.that is most likely your problem.

savedsammy
06-04-2017, 11:45 AM
lift bike so front wheel is off ground and check your bearing play.that is most likely your problem.

thanks bud

pantspisser
06-06-2017, 12:07 PM
You do change trail numbers by changing front wheel size, however assuming you're trees and neck are still stock rake and offset you didn't change trail enough to negatively affect steering/stability. By increasing your front wheel size from a 19 to a 21 you've increased trail (minimally) which in theory should increase high speed strait line stability which is the opposite of the problem you're experiencing.

If you were feeling slop at the neck bearing while on jacks, definitely replace those bearings and check that stem for straitness with a strait edge. If the wobble only occurs at higher speeds I would suspect the wheel though. A sloppy neck usually (but not always) rides like crap at any speed. If the fresh neck bearings don't get you fixed I'd pop those wheels back off and run it back to the shop to get the balance double checked. You wouldn't be the first guy to get screwed over by a new tire weight falling off.

The last thing I can think of is axle spacers. I doubt this is your problem because you managed to get plenty of trouble free miles on the bike before this wobble came along however it's worth a quick look. If the new wheel required new spacers I'd look to ensure you're wheels are properly centered and have little to no side to side play when the bike is on jacks and the axles are torqued up.

savedsammy
06-07-2017, 2:17 PM
You do change trail numbers by changing front wheel size, however assuming you're trees and neck are still stock rake and offset you didn't change trail enough to negatively affect steering/stability. By increasing your front wheel size from a 19 to a 21 you've increased trail (minimally) which in theory should increase high speed strait line stability which is the opposite of the problem you're experiencing.

If you were feeling slop at the neck bearing while on jacks, definitely replace those bearings and check that stem for straitness with a strait edge. If the wobble only occurs at higher speeds I would suspect the wheel though. A sloppy neck usually (but not always) rides like crap at any speed. If the fresh neck bearings don't get you fixed I'd pop those wheels back off and run it back to the shop to get the balance double checked. You wouldn't be the first guy to get screwed over by a new tire weight falling off.

The last thing I can think of is axle spacers. I doubt this is your problem because you managed to get plenty of trouble free miles on the bike before this wobble came along however it's worth a quick look. If the new wheel required new spacers I'd look to ensure you're wheels are properly centered and have little to no side to side play when the bike is on jacks and the axles are torqued up.

thanks a lot bud. i'm gonna try to tear down on saturday, and i''ll check the things you mentioned.

savedsammy
06-11-2017, 1:56 PM
here's what i found so far....77379

Tattooo
06-11-2017, 2:26 PM
here's what i found so far....77379

LOL well that looks like 99% of your problem.... What about a further back shot???

OleDirtyDoc
06-11-2017, 2:39 PM
ouch

savedsammy
06-11-2017, 7:00 PM
LOL well that looks like 99% of your problem.... What about a further back shot???

all i have now will try to get more later

COLDSTEELE
06-29-2017, 11:53 AM
Hey Bro I lost my 1/2 drive torque wrench with 22 mm deep well socked could you please see if it fell into that canyon canyon canyon lol Wow Man you had a angel riding with you. Could of been one of those we never could figure out what went wrong to make him high side into that wood chipper. Keepem 1UP & 2 DOWN Brother

savedsammy
07-17-2017, 11:18 AM
finally back to rollin. after going thru to sets of fork seals. found out my bike has 750 ace deluxe fork tubes with 1100 spirit trees.

savedsammy
07-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Hey Bro I lost my 1/2 drive torque wrench with 22 mm deep well socked could you please see if it fell into that canyon canyon canyon lol Wow Man you had a angel riding with you. Could of been one of those we never could figure out what went wrong to make him high side into that wood chipper. Keepem 1UP & 2 DOWN Brother

now that is funny!!!!

savedsammy
07-17-2017, 11:54 AM
You changed the neck???? Did I read that right?? Did you use a frame jig?? If not how did you go about what you did???

sorry not neck but trees