PDA

View Full Version : 4 Speed ratchet Transmission leak from mainshaft bearing support plate stud

Oldstuff315
06-01-2017, 9:03 AM
The studs the mainshaft bearing support plate goes on the ears

the bottom left hole is leaking someone had took the studs out and I assume it has to be in there to not leak.

What are the Stud sizes for the ears the mainshaft side as the HD manual does not show?

What sealent when putting studs in to avoid oil coming through bottom left stud?

And if you did not want to use a bearing support plate closed tin Primary 1.5" Belt kick start

Blackbetty
06-01-2017, 10:13 AM
The 4 speeds case mounting studs were through holes, but not the bearing support studs.

It's probably leaking from the seal behind the sprocket - very common. Have you removed the sprocket to check?

EDIT:

I just reviewed a few pics in my notes and noticed that the lower left is indeed a through hole. I use permatex thread sealant

Oldstuff315
06-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Would you know the stud size of all 4 on the main shaft size?

Dragstews
06-01-2017, 11:33 AM
http://www.vtwinmfg.com/WebPics/12/12-2113.jpg

3/8 X 16 on one end (Into the case) and 3/8 X 24 on the other..

farmall
06-02-2017, 5:28 PM
Loctite Red threadlocker makes good sealant too. Otherwise Permatex and Loctite both make anaerobic flange sealant which works very well, but with any of them ya need to clean the hole with solvent because they don't stick to oil.

Oldstuff315
06-05-2017, 6:39 AM
Did all that bottom left bolt hole still leaking it looks like the bottom left bolt hole someone pierced the case with the bottom mounting stud can be seen through the front mainshaft support bolt hole can see threads of bottom plate mounting stud

Blackbetty
06-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Did all that bottom left bolt hole still leaking it looks like the bottom left bolt hole someone pierced the case with the bottom mounting stud can be seen through the front mainshaft support bolt hole can see threads of bottom plate mounting stud

The bottom mounting studs were through holes from the factory. Good idea to seal them when rebuilding, eliminates any potential weeping.

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2010/02/14/tranny-studs-underestimate-4-speed-tranny-leaking/