PDA

View Full Version : florescent lights and my hood

nmaineron
05-31-2017, 6:57 PM
My welding area which is my cellar has florescent shop lights.My Miller auto hood often fails when I strike up.This is my first auto hood,it is not a top shelf model.I want to take it outdoor and I can't always have the sun in front of me.got any remedies short of making a hood for my hood?

RickG61
06-02-2017, 7:14 AM
I own/used 3 or 4 different auto helmets, from a cheapy Harbor Freight, to a mid level Miller. 2 sensor, 3 sensor and 4 sensors. Try this. Make sure sensor area is clean. Adjust sensitivity. Make sure battery is fresh. Only time any of my helmets fail to darken is when the battery is weak/dead. Also make sure your arm, work, whatever isn't blocking the sensor from the arc. The two sensor helmet does have that issue depending how I've positioned the work piece or my body. If my amps are low for thin shit, the arc isn't bright enough to trigger the helmet unless the sensors have a direct view of the arc.

farmall
06-03-2017, 2:32 PM
I want to take it outdoor and I can't always have the sun in front of me.got any remedies short of making a hood for my hood?

Outdoor welding can be made more convenient by attaching a leather flap which drapes over the back of your head to eliminate light from behind you reflecting off the inside of the lens into your eyes. It's an old trick. Some folks use snaps or whatever else is handy.

I glued some leather cut from an old welding apron to my Fibre-Metal Pipeliner with 3M 5200 marine adhesive sealant (available in small tube at many hardware stores). It's held up nicely for several years.

SamHain
06-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Throw it in the trash and get one of these. Works every time. Learned my lesson long ago, don't see any benefit except really high production short welds, and that ship sailed.

http://www.phillips-safety.com/welding-safety/gold-welding-lenses/welding-lens-small-2-x-4-25-gold.html