PDA

View Full Version : War gasser front end

mtoepfer67
05-31-2017, 11:05 AM
Just picked up a 75 ironhead rigid with a super narrow front end made by war gasser looked them up seems like it's gunna be rough to put a front brake on it... I'm trying to commute on it as much as possible and just need to figure a way to get a front brake on it I could use some opinions and heard this was a great place to ask for ideas.... 77139771407714177142

vanderkalin
05-31-2017, 3:07 PM
No idea but this should probably go in the main forum. Wish they could delete threads that they move from the forum its moved from. Good luck.

farmall
05-31-2017, 5:26 PM
Best method is swap the front end and wheel for a later model 39mm setup with dual discs since you can sell yours as a unit to someone who doesn't mind being a meat crayon. They can shave the stock caliper mounts from the sliders if they wish. Someone didn't bother and just bolted on the narrow trees and wheel.

Four-piston calipers from much later Sporties are preferable, or you can use outstanding Jap sport bike calipers with adapters. Stock calipers on early narrow glides are shit on a good day.

mtoepfer67
05-31-2017, 11:36 PM
So to clarify your saying no matter what I have to switch the front end to get a front brake set up... or that a jap sport bike caliper and a aftermarket mount might fit? And hey thanks for responding and helping me out I don't wanna be a meat crayon

fastfiat
06-01-2017, 7:27 AM
Not that familiar with sportster drum brakes but you might be able to go that route if its not to wide.

CTNewman
06-01-2017, 8:04 AM
I would say there is zero chance of running a spoked wheel and brake with that tube spacing. Switch to a mag wheel and MAYBE but it's heavy heavy fab work.

If you want a front brake just swap out the front end.

MadRiverMoCo
06-01-2017, 9:42 AM
I would say there is zero chance of running a spoked wheel and brake with that tube spacing. Switch to a mag wheel and MAYBE but it's heavy heavy fab work.

If you want a front brake just swap out the front end.

2nded. Even putting a front brake on a 35mm front end with a spoked 21" can be an f'n bitch (ask me how I know?).

Blackbetty
06-01-2017, 10:07 AM
That's a bitchin front end. Live life on the edge, mannnn

Gvermin
06-01-2017, 1:57 PM
lowbrow has a 21 front with mini drum, 5/8 axle, 3.5in hub. doubt it's gonna give you much breaking power.

DIABOLUS
06-01-2017, 3:49 PM
The age-old dilemma of having to choose between a super-skinny/clean front end and being able to stop decently.

farmall
06-01-2017, 8:15 PM
So to clarify your saying no matter what I have to switch the front end to get a front brake set up... or that a jap sport bike caliper and a aftermarket mount might fit? And hey thanks for responding and helping me out I don't wanna be a meat crayon

Not "or", there's no room. A sport bike caliper (or two, dual discs are a good thing) is an option with a stock front end but wouldn't fit that one.

Some details on the swap from other 33ers.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42806

pantspisser
06-07-2017, 11:24 AM
The only chance of a front stopper on that narrow front end is a drum and even that may not fit. Find out how much room you got in between the forks at the axle. The easiest bet is to sell it or trade it though if having a front stopper is vital.

mtoepfer67
06-07-2017, 4:47 PM
Well thanks for all the info I love the clean front end even if I switch it out I'm gunna keep it for when I get a more daily bike and switch it out

Jeremy24
06-08-2017, 8:02 AM
Well thanks for all the info I love the clean front end even if I switch it out I'm gunna keep it for when I get a more daily bike and switch it out

I have a sporty dual disk 35mm complete front, a single disk front end if yiur looking

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
06-08-2017, 12:46 PM
I personally am a big fan of having brakes, On a bike 70% of your breaking comes from the front end. Just my opinion but no front brakes and some of the styling stuff is best left for show bikes and trailer queens (Same for suicide shifters). Ride hard or pose,, its a decision for style conscious fashionistas and hipsters..

Sonny Barger has said in one of his books he never thought HDs were any good and he felt that serious riders are about riding, not wrenching or posing and so he felt that the HA should have BMWs. This was not a popular opinion and he was overruled on that, but it does bring up some interesting thoughts of what bike culture would be like today if that had flown.... And as far as the whole "Girls bikes-sportster" thing,, in the 60s many HA rode sportys because they were faster and more agile than a Big twin. Some rode British bikes too.

Personally,, I think a custom, chopper, Bobber or cafe should look good, and PERFORM well,, High Speed, Low Drag and well built/engineered scoots stand on their own. (No poser shit) I like the old school drilled stainless discs and like a good billet caliper, but if its got some offensive asian script grind it off and Engrave PMS on it instead. (Like Performance MAchine but PMS instead, )

On old style chops with springers a good strong brake will Pogo.. (Bouncy bouncy) so they are only good holding on a hill, stop light or just coming to a stop and gently applied So thats why many started using the mini drums which were just adapted from Mini bikes and such. I have used some mini drums and went to a local shop that sells commerical grade brake materials and a local guy did some experiments with modern brake materials. (Kevlar stuff) One of my friends old Indian can now skid both front and rear, same as some of the old pans and knuckles using this material. So, the problem is the mini drums and tiny disc kits overheat if used a lot.

But one thing I have done and will be doing on 2 upcoming builds with Springers is some 1970s Asian bikes had a cable actuated Disc brake on certain small bore econonmy Yamahas and Hondas. The wheel and disc look like a normal disc brake but the caliper is CABLE actuated. The discs are stainless so set up on a drill press or mill can be drilled and looks improved, and then the whole set up is very clean and works well for the limited braking you can use on a Springer but it confuses and befuddles many who keep looking for the Master cyl.

Dual discs are not as flash as many think. The simple fact is it adds UNSPRUNG weight and more hardware and hassles. A well set up single disc with a floating rotor and a good 4 pot or 6 pot modern caliper is the way to go. My last sporty had Buell brakes and a Asian bike rotor on it and could do Stoppies. Read up on Unsprung weight and Erik Buells theorys on braking. The perimeter brakes dont look cool on a chop, but they work really well.

I Have a street tracker 1965 Triumph going together. Modified Cerrani forks with modern damping. CBR Honda hub with Full Floating rotor and 4 pot Modern Triumph caliper and master cyl (Has a nice Triumph logo on it.) Fits the style of bike, kicks ass, but still looks good.

Jasonisdico
06-10-2017, 12:43 PM
I personally am a big fan of having brakes, On a bike 70% of your breaking comes from the front end. Just my opinion but no front brakes and some of the styling stuff is best left for show bikes and trailer queens (Same for suicide shifters). Ride hard or pose,, its a decision for style conscious fashionistas and hipsters..

Sonny Barger has said in one of his books he never thought HDs were any good and he felt that serious riders are about riding, not wrenching or posing and so he felt that the HA should have BMWs. This was not a popular opinion and he was overruled on that, but it does bring up some interesting thoughts of what bike culture would be like today if that had flown.... And as far as the whole "Girls bikes-sportster" thing,, in the 60s many HA rode sportys because they were faster and more agile than a Big twin. Some rode British bikes too.

Personally,, I think a custom, chopper, Bobber or cafe should look good, and PERFORM well,, High Speed, Low Drag and well built/engineered scoots stand on their own. (No poser shit) I like the old school drilled stainless discs and like a good billet caliper, but if its got some offensive asian script grind it off and Engrave PMS on it instead. (Like Performance MAchine but PMS instead, )

On old style chops with springers a good strong brake will Pogo.. (Bouncy bouncy) so they are only good holding on a hill, stop light or just coming to a stop and gently applied So thats why many started using the mini drums which were just adapted from Mini bikes and such. I have used some mini drums and went to a local shop that sells commerical grade brake materials and a local guy did some experiments with modern brake materials. (Kevlar stuff) One of my friends old Indian can now skid both front and rear, same as some of the old pans and knuckles using this material. So, the problem is the mini drums and tiny disc kits overheat if used a lot.

But one thing I have done and will be doing on 2 upcoming builds with Springers is some 1970s Asian bikes had a cable actuated Disc brake on certain small bore econonmy Yamahas and Hondas. The wheel and disc look like a normal disc brake but the caliper is CABLE actuated. The discs are stainless so set up on a drill press or mill can be drilled and looks improved, and then the whole set up is very clean and works well for the limited braking you can use on a Springer but it confuses and befuddles many who keep looking for the Master cyl.

Dual discs are not as flash as many think. The simple fact is it adds UNSPRUNG weight and more hardware and hassles. A well set up single disc with a floating rotor and a good 4 pot or 6 pot modern caliper is the way to go. My last sporty had Buell brakes and a Asian bike rotor on it and could do Stoppies. Read up on Unsprung weight and Erik Buells theorys on braking. The perimeter brakes dont look cool on a chop, but they work really well.

I Have a street tracker 1965 Triumph going together. Modified Cerrani forks with modern damping. CBR Honda hub with Full Floating rotor and 4 pot Modern Triumph caliper and master cyl (Has a nice Triumph logo on it.) Fits the style of bike, kicks ass, but still looks good.

That's your opinion. Riding a bike without a front brake doesn't make you a 'poser' or a 'hipster' just because YOU don't like it. My 'poser' bike with no front brake has taken me 20k miles thoroughout CA, AZ, and Mexico. With gear and often times my wife on the back. With my 'suicide shifter'. I ride within my limits and the limits of my bike just fine. Get off your high horse.

Mtoep,
Those Wargasser trees are bitchin. Not hard to swap out for a set of stock trees and run a brake til you get a daily that you're more comfortable with. Keep em.

06-10-2017, 5:01 PM
"That's your opinion. Riding a bike without a front brake doesn't make you a 'poser' or a 'hipster' just because YOU don't like it. My 'poser' bike with no front brake has taken me 20k miles thoroughout CA, AZ, and Mexico. With gear and often times my wife on the back. With my 'suicide shifter'. I ride within my limits and the limits of my bike just fine. Get off your high horse. "

Bravo dude, you be hardcore! More power to you if you can pull that shit off. But the guy asked for input and ideas, I gave my $0.02 and remember any advice you get on a free internet forum is worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it. (Yours included)

Ive been riding and wrenching a very long time. I also ran a shop. Truth is nobody i know, and NOBODY who rides seriously runs no front brake and a suicide shifter other than a show bike or something they dust off and putt around on. All the guys I know who are daily riders or long milers all run brakes and other sensible shit.
But more power to anyone who can pull it off. One old shop customer used to ride an old pan with a suicide shifter and came into a corner hot and started sliding on spilled diesel fuel on a freeway off ramp. He is very vocal today he could have pulled it off without a wreck if he had a foot shifter, but couldnt and did a dance HARD with the concrete retaining wall and broke ALL the bones in his foot and leg. He still rides but yells at hipsters with suicide shifters. Your results may vary and I aint trying to force anybody to do anything.

But lets focus on wht the poster said.. He plans on commutting a lot with the bike. That means daily rider,. That means a lot of traffic all of whom are trying overtly or covertly to kill us all on 2 wheels. Been there done that laddie. So motor on your bad self.

CTNewman
06-12-2017, 6:00 AM
"That's your opinion. Riding a bike without a front brake doesn't make you a 'poser' or a 'hipster' just because YOU don't like it. My 'poser' bike with no front brake has taken me 20k miles thoroughout CA, AZ, and Mexico. With gear and often times my wife on the back. With my 'suicide shifter'. I ride within my limits and the limits of my bike just fine. Get off your high horse. "

Bravo dude, you be hardcore! More power to you if you can pull that shit off. But the guy asked for input and ideas, I gave my $0.02 and remember any advice you get on a free internet forum is worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it. (Yours included)

Ive been riding and wrenching a very long time. I also ran a shop. Truth is nobody i know, and NOBODY who rides seriously runs no front brake and a suicide shifter other than a show bike or something they dust off and putt around on. All the guys I know who are daily riders or long milers all run brakes and other sensible shit.
But more power to anyone who can pull it off. One old shop customer used to ride an old pan with a suicide shifter and came into a corner hot and started sliding on spilled diesel fuel on a freeway off ramp. He is very vocal today he could have pulled it off without a wreck if he had a foot shifter, but couldnt and did a dance HARD with the concrete retaining wall and broke ALL the bones in his foot and leg. He still rides but yells at hipsters with suicide shifters. Your results may vary and I aint trying to force anybody to do anything.

But lets focus on wht the poster said.. He plans on commutting a lot with the bike. That means daily rider,. That means a lot of traffic all of whom are trying overtly or covertly to kill us all on 2 wheels. Been there done that laddie. So motor on your bad self.

I daily drive either my panhead or sportster and neither have a front brake. The panhead is a hand shifter, but it also has slicks front and rear so I take the sporty if it looks like rain. I rode the sporty to california from NY last summer. Sure' you're rolling the dice a bit more every time, but to say that the aforementioned items are poser is a stretch.

Sky
06-12-2017, 9:30 AM
it's your bike, run a brake if you want. don't if you don't want.
if you are looking for a bolt on solution, you are probably out of luck.
unless you bolt on a wider front end...
but this is chop cult, and there are a thousand ways to chop a cat. or skin a chopper. or something like that
disks, drums, friction bands, clutch packs, jackshafts, parachutes. seen all kinds of ways of slowing down, some "better" than others.
let us know what you came up with

mtoepfer67
06-14-2017, 4:03 PM
it's your bike, run a brake if you want. don't if you don't want.
if you are looking for a bolt on solution, you are probably out of luck.
unless you bolt on a wider front end...
but this is chop cult, and there are a thousand ways to chop a cat. or skin a chopper. or something like that
disks, drums, friction bands, clutch packs, jackshafts, parachutes. seen all kinds of ways of slowing down, some "better" than others.
let us know what you came up with

Lol that's what I like about this place everybody throws a opinion out there... thanks for all the advice

as per the suicide shift versus regular and all the hipster stuff... who cares we're all on two wheels.... as for the quoting sonny bargers book I gotta call you on that one a Lil.... he did say the bit about the BMWs but he also said that back then you supported American products because we were fresh out of world war 2 and that's why the "club scene" rides Harley's because you drank American beer and rode American bikes even if they sucked

This is where I'm gunna sound dumb to you( the guy a few posts up talking about hipsters and such).... I bought this bike because I wanted a older bike that kicked back spit oil and generally was a grumpy bitch with a lot of personality. I had a dyna before this and I loved it... but I thought these older choppers were rolling art the same way all the painted Dynas were... and my panties get wet everytime I reach down for the shifter lol I just think it's cool shit Idgaf what anybody thinks anymore i just wanna ride the piss outta a bike I like and well this is it... it's probly gunna kill me but I don't care cuz it's ether ride this bitch or let the stress build up and snap some little punks neck for being dumb and spend my life behind bars I'm pretty sure most of us can relate to that.....

anyways thanks agian to all you guys for the opinions and info I'm gunna try and dial in the breakes and try to learn to ride it the way it is first but if I still feel uncomfortable in another month probly gunna start looking for a spare set of forks and keep the war gassers tell I can afford a daily bike them lil bastards really do look sexy up there lol

Brent
06-29-2017, 3:53 PM
"that's your opinion. Riding a bike without a front brake doesn't make you a 'poser' or a 'hipster' just because you don't like it. My 'poser' bike with no front brake has taken me 20k miles thoroughout ca, az, and mexico. With gear and often times my wife on the back. With my 'suicide shifter'. I ride within my limits and the limits of my bike just fine. Get off your high horse. "

bravo dude, you be hardcore! More power to you if you can pull that shit off. But the guy asked for input and ideas, i gave my $0.02 and remember any advice you get on a free internet forum is worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it. (yours included)

ive been riding and wrenching a very long time. I also ran a shop. Truth is nobody i know, and nobody who rides seriously runs no front brake and a suicide shifter other than a show bike or something they dust off and putt around on. All the guys i know who are daily riders or long milers all run brakes and other sensible shit.
But more power to anyone who can pull it off. One old shop customer used to ride an old pan with a suicide shifter and came into a corner hot and started sliding on spilled diesel fuel on a freeway off ramp. He is very vocal today he could have pulled it off without a wreck if he had a foot shifter, but couldnt and did a dance hard with the concrete retaining wall and broke all the bones in his foot and leg. He still rides but yells at hipsters with suicide shifters. Your results may vary and i aint trying to force anybody to do anything.

lol

06-29-2017, 5:23 PM
lol

You might notice the 2 guys I annoyed with my comments and said they ride with suicide shifters or no front brake,, if you look at their profiles both are in the their mid 30s. Just my opinion but if they get to their 50s like me their opinions might shift a bit.
Isnt there a saying something like "there are FAST bikers and there is OLD bikers but very few FAST OLD bikers?"
But again,.,, I did all kinds of crazy stuff in my teens, 20s & 30s and lived to tell about it, so do whatever floats your boat.