PDA

View Full Version : Frame jig parts kit

Mrobinson
05-27-2017, 8:56 AM
Looking to put together a frame jig. Are there any kits out there that are a diy kinda thing. I would like to start building some frames

farmall
05-27-2017, 10:00 AM
There are plenty of options. Check with your local metal suppliers for steel as it's usually quite reasonable. Many suppliers will cut to length.

http://bfy.tw/C2Ek

Mrobinson
05-27-2017, 10:48 AM
There are plenty of options. Check with your local metal suppliers for steel as it's usually quite reasonable. Many suppliers will cut to length.

http://bfy.tw/C2Ek

Lol lmgtfy I used to use that all the time. Anyway I was looking at chop source are their kits worth a crap? I have quite a bit of steel in my shop already. So no need to run to a metal supplier.

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
05-27-2017, 11:59 AM
Good question, I am putting one together as well,, I missed a couple chances to buy existing jig and frame building set ups.. Dont overlook that option, maybe run some WTB ads on CL regionally, but wasnt able to put together a deal.

I too have looked at the Chopper source kits and generally like their ideas, but it quickly adds up to a lot of $$$$. Totally worth it if you build enough frames will quickly pay for itself.. but in my case I dont want to go into production, I just want to repair a few frames of mine and a few projects over the next few years.

I also tried working with a few local people but for a variety of reasons it didnt work out, (IE: hire them to do the work)

Chopper source is probably the leader based on advertising, and admittedly they seem to do a good job, but they are by no means the only game.
Careful searching using different terms will find scans and prints online for some other ideas, theres some good build/fab threads on here, JJ, and some other forums. Even a guy building his own Norton Featherbed frames and he shows how its done. (NOT an easy frame to fab, in fact probably one of the most challenging frames to build.)

There is many ways to skin a cat, to me, It makes the best sense to have the frame up and horizontal in the natural position the bike would sit so you can visualize, but true frame straighteners and fab work is most often done on a flat table with the frame laying on its side with 1-2-3 blocks and jigs. I have toured chopper guys shop in Novato Calif years back and got the full tour of the facility in the evening so was able to see the whole set up and those guys crank out a lot of frames. The jigs to make the different pieces were really well done. The guy who gave me the tour did all the prep work and preproduction each night to get the shop ready for next days production. (Smart).

This is well known here,, but this is a excellent place to start if you havent read this website.
See: http://chopperhandbook.com/rake.htm

Here is plans on how to build your own jigs,,
See: http://chopperhandbook.com/jigs2.htm

More specifics on Jig tech...
http://chopperhandbook.com/jigs.htm

### I want to say THANK YOU to the guy who keeps that page up, it is by far the best resource out there to point people too, there are others, but he has done an excellent job and we all owe him for putting it out there, time labor and upkeep aint easy, dont take other peoples time for granted, say thanks when its deserved. ###

farmall
05-27-2017, 3:37 PM
If you have milling machine access then you could just buy a pair of neck cones and fab the rest. There's not much to a basic frame jig.

05-28-2017, 2:28 PM
You are correct FARMALL,, hence my posting links to plans and DIY kits. However most people DONT have a Mill or access, and anyone I know who is competent either is very busy or charges a small fortune. Keep in mind setup time is costly and consuming so its always easier to do a production run. I think the chop source stuff fills a nicke as it looks good and not too extreme on price. Fits the bill for many i suppose. Its either time or money right? But perhaps if you DO have resources do a batch run and sell of some to pay for it or line up a few friends who can split the bill for making the stuff.

One of the biggest things though is the common enemy of close enough is good enough so the better quality of a pro built set of tools, jigs and fixtures can make all the difference

LisaBallard
05-29-2017, 1:58 PM
Looking to put together a frame jig. Are there any kits out there that are a diy kinda thing. I would like to start building some frames

Keep an eye out on the main forum as I have a Full Frame Jig Kit giveaway coming from Chop Source (https://www.chopsource.com/full-frame-jig-kit.html).

05-29-2017, 2:31 PM
How fortuitous & timely! I have some pieces of steel and 2 I beams was using as a start, but would love to win a nice setup. Will share the love and post many many pix and build threads if the winner.

I have several frames that need attention,, this is one of them and was doing 45mph when hit from behind by a speeding drunk girl who was texting at Police reports say was 75-80 mph. She then claimed I came out of nowhere and hit HER! (Damn you get off my hood!) I hit the windshield so hard it popped out the back window on her Audi.

I was amazed the S&S carb and air cleaner survived unscratched. I bought it back from Insurance company and would be a very early project on a Jig fixture setup. Just like the 6 million dollar man,,, we can rebuild it. Stronger faster and ride again.

I got a couple Chopper frames and 4 stock type British bike frames that all need help too.... I have material needs! Please help! God Bless! :killerjob:

LisaBallard
05-29-2017, 4:39 PM
Enter now (http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49530).
Good luck!

memphisrain
05-29-2017, 5:50 PM
Never dealt with them, but Bitter End seems to have some quality parts:

http://www.bitterendchoppers.com/Jig.html

xMPRx
05-29-2017, 11:40 PM
hey I just built a jig. I made all my own future pieces though. I used the the 2x3 square tubing idea but In my opinion I think there is way to much play in the 4 bolt idea. Im sure its great for universal purposes though. I have my build in the american forum.http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48330

farmall
05-30-2017, 8:58 AM
Another way, and it's the most versatile, to make an individual or temporary jig and/or do without a jig is use a digital level. They are highly accurate these days, my machinist bro with decades of experience including fixtures for Abrams turret bearing race grinding checked his Craftsman against his expensive Starrett and now uses the expendable Craftsman for production setups. It's been running fine in a production environment for several years!

Grab some scrap and tack weld what you want while checking level and angles. Rigid if done properly and dirt cheap. Snip the tacks with a cutting disk when done if needed. Welders do this for all sorts of fab work. They frequently tack a support to their jig or table then tack a part to the support. A flap disc washes off old tacks.

If your work checks out level, square and with neck etc at the correct angle, than how you got it there doesn't matter much. Validate by measuring with the same tools you'd use with a nice factory jig. I prefer digital levels with lasers for convenience.

Jigs act as convenient clamps but you can do many welds freehand. I tack necks in a triangle. Face neck (frame previously leveled on welding table or stands) and tack lower right, then square neck to frame (don't worry about rake yet) and tack lower left. Neck is then held square to frame by bottom tacks. Set neck rake with digital level or inclinometer and tack at top center. Check with level. Make stronger tacks, check, then take turns laying beads on either side and checking with some cool time to avoid distortion. There's no rush. BTW MIG is nice for filling and flap-discing/wheeling to desired final contour.

One beauty of welding is it's easy to redo. (6" cutting discs are love.)

There are many ways to make weldments. Measure often whatever you use because even jigs don't guarantee zero distortion. Patience is good, and not every frame part will necessarily be clamped in a jig even if you use one.

Motorcycle forums tend to be bike-centric not welding-centric. Mosickle frames in the chopper context are tubing weldments.

Time on Weldingweb is well spent. http://weldingweb.com/

BTW I recommend buying and making tools before toys, because all you have when you build a motorcycle is a motorcycle. Tools make toys but toys don't make tools. What you learn using tools to make more tools is mind-expanding.

05-30-2017, 11:14 PM
Thats cool you posted that...I like to see those kinds of builds and tech, thats mainly what I am looking for on here and other forums. Never too old to learn something new.

05-30-2017, 11:32 PM
Correct again Farmall. I appreciate seeing common sense and good advice, sure beats some of the goofy stuff some people are building. I like to see some good solid advice on doing things the right way. One of the biggest issues is for many is that they dont have a lot of tools, experience and skills. While its cool to discuss hydrogen embrittlement and heat affected zones in the context of shielding gas mixs,, that tends to fly over the heads of many, so, just common sense and good use of materials is solid material. Most of these guys dont have a mill, lathe or prper welding gear but that doesnt mean you dont have to know what is quality work and what is not.
Theres a local guy here who ran a shop and while he DID have some skills,, Holy crap he was a menace to health, safety and any motorcycle on the road. I bought a shop project that he built from one of his many dissatisfied customers. I didnt want to take advantage and said so,, but the guy wanted it gone and out of his sight and close the door on that chapter. Holy crap that was a death machine on 2 wheels. I could write a book on that bike and everything was HOW NOT to build a bike. For a while I used it as a test mule to break in motors i rebuilt and stuff kept falling off the bike. Cold welds, mismatched materials..It looked good but literally welds would crack and parts fall off in my shop when we revved the motors to set timing. Death trap on wheels. I still see bikes I know that guy built come up for sale and its hard because you want to protect the poor saps who might end up with them.