PDA

View Full Version : Replace suspension with rigid struts.

jsteweii
05-27-2017, 5:17 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to hardtail my 535. Only with struts though not a complete backend build. So, my question is about aluminium vs. steel struts. Anyone with experience in this area? I'm thinking in terms of sturdiness, flexibility and so on in the two types. And have anyone built their own or just bought off of ebay? Any input appreciated, since I don't want to fall on my @$$ cause of a cracked strut:-).

Best regards,

Johnny.

TopHat086
05-27-2017, 7:27 AM
Many years ago, 25 or so, I did that to an XS650. I used square PTO shaft. Just drilled the ends and bolted them on. I was concerned about the upper shock studs dealing with th load, but everything worked out ok.

jsteweii
05-27-2017, 2:09 PM
Many thanks TopHat. I havn't decided yet which option I'm gonna choose, but all input helps. For how long did you ride yours? You didn't see any signs of fatigue in either frame nor the shaft? Thats good news. Roads here are above ok, so I'm not too worried about constant bumps and such, but fatigue due to longtime stress and handling is another matter I think.

TopHat086
05-31-2017, 8:45 AM
I put maybe 6 or 7K on it like that. Never had any problems. I was concerned about the upper shock mounts, as they are studs welded to the frame, but they held up fine, still a bit surprised about that though. The frame of an XS is pretty stout, so I can't say if your frame will hold up or not. I would trust an XS frame again, but my next one will be a "proper" welded on hardtail. I think the PTO shaft I used was either 3/4 or 1", I do remember it was a bitch to drill, but being a solid square shaft it was probably overkill strong for struts. I had apes and a bar across the front of the frame as highway type pegs. The one thing I did do was kind of pull myself up on the bars so I was a bit off the seat if I saw a big bump or hole coming up to take some of the load off. I did hit many unseen holes and bumps without a problem. Struts, without a sprung seat do make for a quite harsh ride at times.

sdustin
05-31-2017, 10:20 AM
Why? Lol. Sorry I couldn't help it.

jsteweii
05-31-2017, 10:46 AM
Why? Lol. Sorry I couldn't help it.

@sdustin

Do you mean why I want to do it? If that's it, then its just for fun and to see if a proper hardtail would be the way to go for my next ride.

Cheers.

sdustin
05-31-2017, 6:09 PM
In my opinion. And I mean no disrespect, struts are for people who want a chopper but don't have the tools or skill to build one. A hardtail is always going to be more show than go. And go in the sense I mean is rideability. I'd never want a hardtail as my only bike. And really a hardtail is about style so if it's the style you like just build it. But know it'll never be as easy to ride as a factory bike. And struts are a cop out. And look almost as bad as springs on your swing arm and seat at the same time.

jsteweii
06-01-2017, 8:45 AM
Agreed, and I both could and would build it if the laws where I live weren't so ridiculously insane. I would have to have have my bike registred again and pay a ton of money for a TÜV approval and what not. Engineers doing all sorts of test to verify road readiness. It makes sense off course but I haven't got that kind of money. So I wanted to try it out. But hey, I've got concerns about the safety of the shock mounts on the frame, so I'm probably not going to go that way. And I wouldn't want to buy a bike with a hardtail, theres no fun in that. The fun part lies in creating something.

Down
06-01-2017, 12:27 PM
You'll be fine. My 535 held up just great with struts. Rode it for almost 10000km and the roads where I live are definitely below ok.. Put the shocks back on because it was a bit too harsh with struts and a crappy seat with little to none foam in it. Just do it, see if you like it and go from there.

jsteweii
06-02-2017, 8:03 AM
Hey Down, thanks for the reply. That actually is very good feedback. Do you have a thread or pics of your 535? I'd like to see what you did with yours:-).

Down
06-05-2017, 1:17 AM
No, sorry I don't. Was too busy riding that damn thing. Heaps of fun that bike.