PDA

View Full Version : Ironhead argh

Sluft
05-18-2017, 5:08 PM
My ironhead starts up and as soon as I level it off kick stand up to take off it dies out thinking not enough fuel tried three different carbs same issue

Tattooo
05-18-2017, 5:10 PM
Bad Intake leak..... Float level off.... Is your bike jacked way up in the air?????? Many questions need answering....

Sluft
05-18-2017, 6:01 PM
No 4 in half inch off ground tried two rebuilt super e carbs and one super e all same issue checked for intake leak none

Tattooo
05-18-2017, 6:35 PM
No 4 in half inch off ground tried two rebuilt super e carbs and one super e all same issue checked for intake leak none

Were any of the carbs off of a running bike or off the shelf???

Sluft
05-18-2017, 6:46 PM
Off running bike came of my 81 iron and put on my 73 the 73 is a stroker maybe jet?

Tattooo
05-18-2017, 7:45 PM
Off running bike came of my 81 iron and put on my 73 the 73 is a stroker maybe jet?

Not if it stops running when you take it off the kick stand... How well is the gas flowing??? Could it be running out of gas???

WillSCB
05-19-2017, 12:51 AM
Is the petcock on the kickstand side? Also, pull the fuel line off the petcock and turn it on to verify it is flowing fuel from the tank. If not, you have a clogged petcock or fuel filter (in the tank.) If so, reconnect the line to the petcock, remove it from the next junction, and repeat. Also, pretty sure it has been covered before, but don't run an inline filter with a filter on your petcock, or your bike can be starved for fuel. Hope some of this helps.

farmall
05-20-2017, 8:14 AM
I usually run 90-degree angle plastic auto filters and never have starvation issues, but I make sure the fuel hose isn't even slightly kinked because it doesn't take much to strangle fuel flow.

checked for intake leak

Gentle pressure tests work better than spray and pray with carb cleaner or propane. If the rubber bands aren't new this is a good time to replace them and make sure you have a good carb brace whatever carb you run.

Always inspect inside any carb you install but if three don't change the problem it suggest fuel flow as others mention.

wblack
05-23-2017, 2:26 PM
.....maybe you have a short/loose wire that only comes into play when you take it off the side-stand.

Check the (really) basic first: pull the line off the carb....verify fuel is running out when on/off the sidestand. Check for spark on and off the side stand too.

47str8leg
05-23-2017, 5:37 PM
Put a match near the fuel line to look for proper flow...

Sluft
06-05-2017, 8:03 PM
Yes did all above except pinched wires or loose wire funny Cuz that's what I was just thinking I did the match near gas now my beard is gone

cb550Matt
06-06-2017, 10:21 PM
is the carb braced of just sitting on the jugs screwed down tight? use a little wd40 and spray near the intake at the jugs see if there is white smoke as it is sucked into the jug ... do rear then front. If your carb does not have a bracket to support it then lowbrow sells on that works well.

Sluft
06-07-2017, 5:00 PM
Update just may help someone else I had new electronic igntion put in the bolt that holds trigger rotor in had no locktite and loc tite so the bolt was very loose ..I put loc tite on it fired right up and ran strong for test run