PDA

View Full Version : Front fender chop with a radiator

Broke86Yam
04-26-2017, 12:13 AM
Alright 33ers. I'm looking at chopping the front fender on my VN1500. I mentioned the idea to a buddy of mine who is an auto mechanic and he acted like chopping the front fender will cause rocks to hit the radiator and bring about the end of times. Is there any truth to that? If I chop the fender will it open the radiator to possible damage from debris? Should I build a guard of some sort? If I should, what material will be strong enough without stopping air flow? Do I need different friends?

Thanks in advance.

TheMKoi
04-26-2017, 6:18 AM
Yes this is true. If you remove your front fender you will increase the odds of a rock or anything hitting your rad. I personally run no front fender and I have no issues. I live in Canada and they put gravel/sand on the road over the winter to deal with ice. And that stuff in the spring hasn't destroyed my rad yet. It is your choice if you want to add a guard. I would recommend some expanded metal or tight woven wire mesh. Remove the rad and housing, cut a piece to sandwich between your housing and the rad. With a little rubber on the contact points, throw it back together and viola you have a protected rad and a 'rad' looking front end. Hahaha. I had to.

Jasonisdico
04-26-2017, 7:13 AM
While there is a slightly higher risk, it's still highly unlikely. I've ran no front fender for years, as have many of my buddies, and never had an issue with rocks and their radiators.

Broke86Yam
05-01-2017, 4:47 PM
Sweet. Thanks.

sdustin
05-02-2017, 7:16 AM
I ran 12k Miles on a fenderless vlx no issues. Radiator did get a little dirty as well as my back.