PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Savage / S40? Big guy Little bike?

ajmurphy
04-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Hey, so I posted about an intruder deal. I hummed and hawwed too long and missed out. Now I looking at a 2006 savage s40 25000 kms (15500 miles) for $1600 CAD or $1000 US. What I'm wondering is will it be a big enough bike for me on the highway etc. I'm 5'10 - 230lbs. My last bike was a 1700cc, will the 650 cc be enough to haul my butt around or will it be under powered? Anyone my size have one? Any issues with the bike?

It's cheap because the PO left it outside for a while and is rusted in spots, but runs well and is safetied.

Jasonisdico
04-24-2017, 5:38 PM
15k miles is when you need to open the cam cover and either replace the cam chain and/or so the cam chain tensioner mod. If not, the tensioner will fall off into the motor and grenade it. No joke.

It is gonna be underpowered for you though. I've built a few and they are fine if you're cruising 70mph and under and by yourself. Trying to keep up with anyone else is gonna be a challenge for someone your size, and putting a passenger on there is gonna make it drag even more. The savage is the baby brother to the intruder. I'm 6'2" 240lbs and would blow my brother away when I was on my intruder and he was in his savage and he is 80lbs less than I am.

Hotel
04-24-2017, 6:33 PM
+2 Jasondisco.

Dougtheinternetannoyance123
04-25-2017, 3:45 AM
Depends on what the intended useage is for. For around town they are awesome,,,or some slow back country roads. Stock they are a bit lame, But there is a very active custom culture for these. I used to be friends with a guy in Florida who was a mad genius, Dr. Harms and he built some crazy bikes. But the one I really liked was he had a HUGE pile of 1940s BSA military bikes. (M20 rigid framed 500 singles) He got tired of restoring them and started doing some customs. He took one of these Suzuki Savages, and combined it with the BSA M20 stuff. Freaked out a lot of people as it was a modern dead nuts reliable Suzi with belt drive,, but LOOKED like a WW2 Rigid framed BSA. Super cool in my book. I have a friend in New Zealand (Kiwi) he built "SavageBob" and basically a stripped down bobber out of one,, that was fun, so then they went and put a Supercharger on it. Theres hundreds of other customs out there,, street trackers, cafe racers, etc,, Im not telling you what to do,, but just some food for thought.
If you want to check out a cool build thread, some (not all) is up on my buddy Simons site.
See: http://www.retrotech.co.nz/Projects/SavageBob.php

ajmurphy
04-25-2017, 5:43 AM
15k miles is when you need to open the cam cover and either replace the cam chain and/or so the cam chain tensioner mod. If not, the tensioner will fall off into the motor and grenade it. No joke.

It is gonna be underpowered for you though. I've built a few and they are fine if you're cruising 70mph and under and by yourself. Trying to keep up with anyone else is gonna be a challenge for someone your size, and putting a passenger on there is gonna make it drag even more. The savage is the baby brother to the intruder. I'm 6'2" 240lbs and would blow my brother away when I was on my intruder and he was in his savage and he is 80lbs less than I am.

We had a baby so I sold my 1700cc and said I wouldn't get another one for a few years but once spring is opening up here and I see bikes I feel the need to get something haha. I will mostly be in and around town but will be driving on highway etc. So maybe it doesnt sound like the best fit for a weekend right or two?? also given that i'm not overly mechanically inclined I'm not sure I could replace the cam chain or do the mod. maybe i should wait for something else. i want something fun but don't want to feel like i'm the slowest in town hahahah

Shrulk
03-08-2018, 12:09 PM
I'm just shy of 300 lbs and stand a whopping 5'10". My savage gets me up to 70 pretty easy and cruises nicely. I have done some mods to mine like opened exhuast and intake and jets so my top end isn't as good as others I guess.