PDA

View Full Version : **Video** What is this CB 650/750 worth??

FisticuffsUp
04-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to ChopCult and metric bikes in general but I found this site last night and love it. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge on here! Anyway, I just recently bought my first CB and honestly I have no idea how to value it. I feel like I got a good price on the bike but I guess I really wouldn't know if I overpaid or not. My question is what do these types of CB's tend to go for and what are the big factors to consider when putting a price on one? I'll post up some info from the original CL add and the start up video. Thanks in advance your time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHOOiyVjxW8&feature=youtu.be.

CL add:

"Honda CB750 Motor Custom Bobber. This bike is pretty much a full custom. It has a full custom hardtail frame with a DNA Springer front end. The current motor is a Honda SOHC CB750 model from 1976, but with just a minor bit of work, this frame will fit ANY MOTOR that slides between the rails. The wheels are Harley from the 70's era. The fuel and oil tanks and the battery tray are a custom design with chameleon flip paint, from a dark red to a goldish bright green. You can see the flip of the paint when you compare the first 4 pictures and the video shows it fairly well towards the end, neither of these methods really show what the paint looks like in person though. There is also a custom rear fender in matching paint that is included, but not installed currently, it is shown sitting on the rear tire in a few pictures. This bike has electric start, a head light, tail/brake light, a (brand new) battery, as well as the stock ignition system, that's about it for the electrical system. The carbs are a dual Mikuni setup, not sure of the exact size, I have never checked. The exhaust is a titanium heat wrapped drag pipe system. The rear brake system is from a Harley of the 80-90s era, the front brake is an Ultima brand universal springer set up. The tires are brand new, never been on the street, Shinko 777 whitewalls. There is a single mirror mounted under the left side of the handle bars, it could be mounted on the top of the right side as well. There is no Speedo, no Tach, no gauges of any kind, there are no turn signals either. This frame is low, and with the exhaust, its just a few inches off the ground. The springer solo seat with "alligator" leather has a very low ride height, and with the forward controls, together they make this bike a lot easier to ride than it looks. With this frame, you can mount virtually any motor/trans combo in it, you just have to cut off the current engine mounts for the SOHC CB750 motor, and make new ones for what ever motor you want to put in. I have always thought this combination would look great with an old Shovelhead or Knucklehead motor in it.

This bike was a partially completed project when I bought it. I have completed it, but have not ever really used it. I purchased another, bigger bike just after I got this one. The new bike took priority, and this one sat. It does run, and I have been out on the street (before the new tires) with her. She will currently fire up, and you can hear her in person. I am sure I have forgotten some things, so please ask any questions you may have.

Please check out my walk around video, you can hear me (cold) start it up and you can see the paint change. Its not the best edited video, but I wanted to make sure no one thought I was editing anything out, so I had to set the phone down to give it some gas before it fired up."

The bike has a title from a 1982 CB650 Model, free and clear, in my possession.

The seller did tell me that the number 4 cylinder doesn't seem to be firing correctly and he suspects a valve adjustment is needed. Also the rear brake is soft.

Alright, so what do you fellas think? What would be a fair price to pay for this bike??

Arsenal
04-22-2017, 1:06 AM
Probably about $900-1,000 USD.

FisticuffsUp
04-22-2017, 1:34 AM
Nice! I was worried I might have overpaid for a second there

ridgerunner1965
04-22-2017, 5:50 PM
[QUOTE=FisticuffsUp;758952]Nice! I was worried I might have overpaid for a second there[/Q

if yu got it for that good deal. prob is what sounds like a carb prob cud be a bad piston. do a compression chek

FisticuffsUp
04-22-2017, 7:08 PM
if yu got it for that good deal. prob is what sounds like a carb prob cud be a bad piston. do a compression chek

Solid advice. I plan on going through it when I get home. I'm deployed right now so i'll have to wonder until I get back. The seller did throw in an extra engine for parts with the deal so that ought to help if it comes to internals being the culprit.

Thanks for the info!

FisticuffsUp
04-22-2017, 9:21 PM
Probably about $900-1,000 USD.

That's about what I figured. I think the Boxer frames from Cycle X run about $800 before shipping. DNA springer $5-600 retail. $150-200 retail for the brand new Shinko's. Couple hundred for the Harley wheels and brakes. Couple hundo for the two engines. Maybe a hundred for the tank & tins. New battery etc.

Maybe a few dollars more for the House of Kolor paint on it.

Obviously i'd never want to pay retail for any of that crap though. (never go full retard, I mean retail).

So by my 3rd grade math skills I had it guestimated at anything under $2,000 and I should be able to get my money out of parting it at least. Anything over that and i'm paying for someone elses build time and just "I wants it".

Arsenal
04-22-2017, 11:13 PM
I should be able to get my money out of parting it at least.

As long as the DNA springer doesn't kill you first.

Phantom309
04-23-2017, 1:02 AM
Anything CB 750 related is marketable. That gas tank is a desirable piece, and those Mikunis go for nearly $500 new. That bike is desirable for it's parts, or as a complete running unit. I've seen CB 750's on E-Bay with similar parts going for $4500 and UP. In my opinion, you can't go wrong if you can buy it under or around $2000. If you want it to ride, all the better. You can't build that bike for any less than $2500. I built one with Craigslist and E-Bay parts, AMEN Saviour frame, CB 750 engine, TT pipes, Mustang tank, Santee oil tank, 8 over front end, and a new set of dual Mikunis. Basic black paint, etc. I Have $2100 in mine, and that was being VERY thrifty. I Got some killer deals on my parts. Cool bike, man. Ride it!

FisticuffsUp
04-23-2017, 1:44 AM
That bike is desirable for it's parts, or as a complete running unit. I've seen CB 750's on E-Bay with similar parts going for $4500 and UP. In my opinion, you can't go wrong if you can buy it under or around $2000. If you want it to ride, all the better. You can't build that bike for any less than $2500.

That's what I was looking for. I appreciate the response man. I'm new to the whole CB/metric chop thing but I grew up on old ratty Harleys, irons, shovels etc. so i'm used to the wheeling and dealing part of it. From my limited knowledge on CB's I thought I did okay on it and the stance and look of the scoot aren't bad either. Those forwards and bars look like a fun little ride.

Cool bike, man. Ride it!

I Definitely bought it to ride. Just wanted to make sure I bought right. Thanks again brother man.

FisticuffsUp
04-23-2017, 1:45 AM
As long as the DNA springer doesn't kill you first.

Yea, theres always that too.. lol

I've got my eyes on a sweet H-D narrowglide that a guy back home has. Just gotta get him drunk enough to sell it to me for nothing haha

Phantom309
04-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Hey Arsenal, I'm curious. What's wrong with the DNA Springers? I know NOTHING at all about them, other than they're inexpensive.

Arsenal
04-23-2017, 1:53 PM
Hey Arsenal, I'm curious. What's wrong with the DNA Springers? I know NOTHING at all about them, other than they're inexpensive.

I'm sure if you look into it or do a search here or google you won't find a shortage of posts about them failing. On top of that, they just look like dogshit to begin with.

OleDirtyDoc
04-25-2017, 7:27 AM
here we go with DNA again.