PDA

View Full Version : First time chopper, have questions

jheikkila54
04-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Hello all,

So over the weekend while at a local watering hole we got on the topic of motorcycles, an older fellow mentioned that he had a "modified '78 Suzuki GS750" that he claims to be faster than snot. I explained that I was actually looking for a 77-79 Suzuki GS*** for a bobber project that I would like to do. One thing lead to another and I will be buying this thing for $1000 this weekend, it ran when parked but has been parked in storage for about 5 years. If it needs quite a bit of loving, I will knock the price down. I will get her running and make sure most things are sound by summer and may decide to ride her around for the summer before tearing her all all apart. However, that gives me time to plan.

I do not plan to go completely crazy on this thing, as it will be first go, but I do know that I want to stretch the rear back about 2.5-3 inches, have about 6-7" of clearance, hard tail with a springed seat, and rake the front ever so slightly - I think it would be raked enough just playing with the rear (could be wrong) I am not a good welder but I have friends that are excellent and have TIGs, I work IT for a sheet metal shop, so CADing and cutting parts will be easy.

What I am wondering is what do I really need to know before getting into this, whats a good/cheap way to may a jig, and any other suggestions you may have for a first timer. I have scoured the interwebs for about 3 days and have found designs that I really like, found little tidbits of info, but not a plethora of knowledge and that may be because I do not know what I am looking for.

I really liked this guys design and thought on the whole thing, however there is not a whole lot of info for a newb like me and the project kind of just stops. https://goo.gl/vZGcwC

Sky
04-18-2017, 4:53 PM
Make sure it's got a clean title first!
A non running GS is NOT worth half a grand even...
Rigids are cool but sprung saddles suck.
Look up rake and trail before you cut the frame up. Most hardtails are stretched and dropped...
Longer rear stretch means a longer chain, and many first time builders leave too little chain clearances(s)
Use the search function here and on other forums, Take any info with a grain of salt and build what you want

jheikkila54
04-19-2017, 6:33 AM
Excellent, thank you.

shovelpan69
04-19-2017, 7:49 AM
I paid 300 for a gs650 non-runner, didnt take much to get it going, new started and a good carb cleaning. i had to put new main jets in it to get it to run down the road with out sputtering at high rpm i believe i ended up with 110s in it. Fun bike to whip around on, should be a cool chopper, they have frame jig kits out there i believe chop source makes one. that might be a good place to find one, but i have yet to put it together.