PDA

View Full Version : New to CC - Buy an Intruder??

ajmurphy
04-17-2017, 1:31 PM
Hey, So new to the forum. Looking for a little bike I can make into a bit of a brat style inspired bike. Found this one locally, 28K on it. Drives well and is in decent shape although I plan to paint and get bars etc. Any thing I should look out for with the intruder. It's a 1985 and is $1300. decent deal or run from it ?? haha

OleDirtyDoc
04-17-2017, 3:22 PM
at about 25-40,000 miles the 700/800 start using oil

Jasonisdico
04-17-2017, 5:18 PM
While what he says may be true, I've never experienced that. I've owned a dozen Intruders, and worked on at least a few dozen more than that. That's a good price for SoCal at least. And the forward controls and seat that are already on the bike are $500 alone. Make sure the coolant is clean, and do a compression test before buying if you can. Do a valve adjustment on it when you get it and ride the piss out of it.

OleDirtyDoc
04-17-2017, 5:22 PM
While what he says may be true, I've never experienced that. I've owned a dozen Intruders, and worked on at least a few dozen more than that. That's a good price for SoCal at least. And the forward controls and seat that are already on the bike are $500 alone. Make sure the coolant is clean, and do a compression test before buying if you can. Do a valve adjustment on it when you get it and ride the piss out of it.

read up on the intruder forums. my brother's top end went at 28,000.had a friend who started using a quart and a half at 32,000.another at 35,000,another at 27,000...but I might not have a clue...

Jasonisdico
04-17-2017, 5:29 PM
read up on the intruder forums. my brother's top end went at 28,000.had a friend who started using a quart and a half at 32,000.another at 35,000,another at 27,000...but I might not have a clue...

I don't know why you insist on being such a shithead. I am on the Intruder forum, both the previous one and the new one. Maybe you should take better care of your bikes. Like I said, I've worked on them for years(not conjecture or heresay), actually working on them. I've had one top end issue at around 80,000 miles, and blew a head gasket in one at around 105,000. How about you just don't respond to my comments, huh? Or find a different fucking hobby where you know what you're talking about.

OleDirtyDoc
04-17-2017, 5:46 PM
I don't know why you insist on being such a shithead. I am on the Intruder forum, both the previous one and the new one. Maybe you should take better care of your bikes. Like I said, I've worked on them for years(not conjecture or heresay), actually working on them. I've had one top end issue at around 80,000 miles, and blew a head gasket in one at around 105,000. How about you just don't respond to my comments, huh? Or find a different fucking hobby where you know what you're talking about.
I'm only treat people how I'm treated.I'll be glad to not respond to your threads if you don't bring me into them

OleDirtyDoc
04-17-2017, 6:40 PM
I'm going to add an edit here.when I said used a quart and a half that was between oil changes.that went for all the ones I mentioned mileage on besides my brothers

OleDirtyDoc
04-17-2017, 6:52 PM
http://www.volusiariders.com/#/topics/223251?page=2
same motor

ajmurphy
04-18-2017, 5:17 AM
yeah im in canada, so am talking CAD. So about 850 US and 17500 miles. When you say a compression test how do I do that? (again Im new). and the coolant, what am i looking for. gunk or black in it? thanks

ajmurphy
04-18-2017, 5:18 AM

yeah im in canada, so am talking CAD. So about 850 US and 17500 miles. When you say a compression test how do I do that? (again Im new). and the coolant, what am i looking for. gunk or black in it? thanks

Jasonisdico
04-18-2017, 7:27 AM
That's even better! Coolant should be clear(green) but not milky and no smelling of fuel. A compression test requires a compression tester. You take out both spark plugs, screw the tester into one of the spark plugs holes and crank it a few times and record the the number. Repeat for the other cylinder. They should be close to the same(around 160 psi I think?). If you have a friend who knows about bikes(or even cars) then bring them to look it over.

OleDirtyDoc
04-18-2017, 9:20 AM
Also need to crank open the throttle during compression check to get correct reading otherwise reading will be low

TheMKoi
04-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Hey, So new to the forum. Looking for a little bike I can make into a bit of a brat style inspired bike. Found this one locally, 28K on it. Drives well and is in decent shape although I plan to paint and get bars etc. Any thing I should look out for with the intruder. It's a 1985 and is $1300. decent deal or run from it ?? haha

That is a fuckin steal!! I have an 97 and these bikes are a lot of fun. Easy to work on if you have the know how or the time, but I have never had an issue with mine that wasn't caused by my stupidity. I had clutch fade with 20 year old hydraulic fluid... no shit. Get the bike!!! buy a manual and start chopping

Aminus
04-21-2017, 8:53 PM
Mine has been very good to me I have had it 3 years and have ridden it almost everyday up until this past December when I had to park it due to a back injury. Very reliable The worst thing I have done to it was replace the slave cylinder. It's fun to ride around town, not much fun on the interstate but I think if I rejet the carbs that will be solved. I'd go for it.

GNARAD
04-28-2017, 8:26 PM
Hey man I'm not sure how much your looking to modify your bike but I'm balls deep in chopping my intruder and if I was able to do it all over I would have picked another bike. in retrospect I would have picked a more practical bike ie cb gs xs ect. I too bought mine for a screamen deal but ive easly spent any money I've saved when I bought the bike on parts. There is no realLy cool after market parts for these bikes and Used parts for truders are scarce and you pay through the nose for new parts as a pose to the bikes I just mentioned. Also I had to purchase a lot of them online which meant long waiting time for them and added shipping costs. Most stuff ships for free in the lower 52 states but for us Canadians it can be costly. Just my 2 bits

ajmurphy
04-29-2017, 4:31 PM
Hey man I'm not sure how much your looking to modify your bike but I'm balls deep in chopping my intruder and if I was able to do it all over I would have picked another bike. in retrospect I would have picked a more practical bike ie cb gs xs ect. I too bought mine for a screamen deal but ive easly spent any money I've saved when I bought the bike on parts. There is no realLy cool after market parts for these bikes and Used parts for truders are scarce and you pay through the nose for new parts as a pose to the bikes I just mentioned. Also I had to purchase a lot of them online which meant long waiting time for them and added shipping costs. Most stuff ships for free in the lower 52 states but for us Canadians it can be costly. Just my 2 bits

Yeah i missed out on the bike. I hummed and hawwed about it too long. I am not looking to do too much to it. Just lower suspension and some bars and a sissy for the first year. I'm thinking about a 1400 intruder now. I liked the bike above almost as it was just a few changes. I'm not the most mechanically inclined so bolt on is all i'm really capable of haha. thanks for the tip tho. I've looked for intruder stuff for the 1400 and youre right it is scarce for them too.

Johnnychaz
06-20-2017, 5:27 AM
I am onto my 23rd bike!!!!
Had Harleys, triumphs, BSA, etc, etc.....but I swear to you all, the best bike I ever owned was a 1987 intruder 750... It sat outside for 10 years before I got it for 800bucks. Changed fluids, battery and pipes and that bike ran great with 68,000 miles on clock.
I have am ironhead now, but will be getting a Intruder 700, 750 or 800 when I can. Fucki n amazing bikjes!!!!!