PDA

View Full Version : Water cooled question?

sdustin
04-11-2017, 9:52 PM
I have an 84 vt500 ascot. I'm thinking of just getting right of the thermostat and find a radiator with a cap that I could use. I'm guessing it would need a long time to warm up but it's not a bike I'm going to ride often.

So my question is if I find a radiator and make sure the flow matches up could I use a radiator from something like a vt1000 or a dirtbike and not use the thermostat housing ?

OleDirtyDoc
04-12-2017, 7:33 AM
there is a reason thermostats are put in cooling systems

Jasonisdico
04-12-2017, 8:31 AM

Bikes are designed for most climates around the world. So here in San Diego, I've removed thermostats and even cooling fans from behind radiators and in one case even ran the exhaust near the radiator where the fan was at! There have been zero issues arising from that. What I mean is that in a mild climate, bikes are far more forgiving. If Dustin lives north where it snows a lot, ditching the thermostat isn't a good idea. But if it's more mild where he lives, he'll be just fine.

sdustin
04-12-2017, 2:44 PM

Yeah the reason is to let the engine get up to temp faster. I see snow maybe once a year. Every 5 years we get snow That stays around more than a day. This bike is not my daily. I have a bone stock vt1100 for that. This is a fun bike. One I'll only get out in summer and take to the mountains ride dirt roads and play in the curves. From may till September our temps run from 80 to 100 degrees, I think I'll be ditching the thermostat housing and finding a better looking radiator I'll still have a fan.

All along I've been wanting this bike to be a tracker style. Something like the cb750 classified Moto built for the walking dead TV show. But I'm also considering building a mini chopper with mini apes, hard tail, bobber fender and hand shift.

Decisions, decisions....

Tattooo
04-12-2017, 6:50 PM
Antifreeze and radiators are for trucks not bikes....... Find a air cooled bike and problem is solved.........

sdustin
04-12-2017, 7:46 PM
Antifreeze and radiators are for trucks not bikes....... Find a air cooled bike and problem is solved.........

Three words. "Honda for life". Water cooled bike is always cooler in traffic.

Tattooo
04-13-2017, 7:46 AM
Three words. "Honda for life". Water cooled bike is always cooler in traffic.

Hondas are great Bikes I've had many through the years...

I didn't say buy something other than a Honda... You do know they made air cooled bikes right?????? If you take the thermostat out it won't be cooler in traffic anymore....

Jasonisdico
04-13-2017, 3:16 PM
Hondas are great Bikes I've had many through the years...

I didn't say buy something other than a Honda... You do know they made air cooled bikes right?????? If you take the thermostat out it won't be cooler in traffic anymore....

I don't think you understand what a thermostat does. the engine temp will be exactly the same in traffic with or without one.

Tattooo
04-13-2017, 6:36 PM
I don't think you understand what a thermostat does. the engine temp will be exactly the same in traffic with or without one.

I think I understand it way better than you if that's what you think it only does.... It is for restriction and nothing else.... If water flows to fast it won't cool.. Just like it stops it from flowing to heat it up.......

OleDirtyDoc
04-13-2017, 7:18 PM
I think I understand it way better than you if that's what you think it only does.... It is for restriction and nothing else.... If water flows to fast it won't cool.. Just like it stops it from flowing to heat it up.......

hmmmm,like I said earlier,there's a reason they put thermostats in coolant systems...

Tattooo
04-13-2017, 8:04 PM
hmmmm,like I said earlier,there's a reason they put thermostats in coolant systems...

Yep I agree, And I go back to what I've said for over 40 years when people ask if that part is really needed.... I tell them if the original designer and company could leave a part off don't you think they would??? Now sometimes parts are there for Government rules and regulations... But if a company could leave a part off that wasn't needed it would save them Millions of dollars in the long run... It's for damn sure they would do it...

Now if you think it doesn't need the thermostat take it off and see..... It's your bike after all.....

OleDirtyDoc
04-14-2017, 6:16 AM
Yep I agree, And I go back to what I've said for over 40 years when people ask if that part is really needed.... I tell them if the original designer and company could leave a part off don't you think they would??? Now sometimes parts are there for Government rules and regulations... But if a company could leave a part off that wasn't needed it would save them Millions of dollars in the long run... It's for damn sure they would do it...

Now if you think it doesn't need the thermostat take it off and see..... It's your bike after all.....

hell some want to reinvent the wheel. if it was a good idea,everyone and their sister would be doing it,but like you said,it ain't my bike...

Jasonisdico
04-14-2017, 6:12 PM
Why take blinkers off or ride hardtails then? The fuck are you doing on a chopper site if the notion of modifying a motorcycle scares you so much?

pantspisser
04-14-2017, 9:07 PM
Ya dude it should be just fine. My buddy removed the thermostat on his Vulcan build and it ran fine. Once you ditch the thermostat the temp at which the coolant stays at while running will measurably change for the colder. Good news is as long as the radiator you do run matches the stock radiators ability to exchange heat or exceeds its ability you're bike won't overheat.

It will however pretty much be in a constant state of over cooling, in a sense that if ideal operating temp is a hypothetical 180 degrees you'll almost always be below that temp. This "over cooling" shouldn't cause but the slightest performance drop and no other noteworthy ill side affects.

My best advice is if you have to ditch the thermostat: is to ensure the radiator is as closely matched to the stock one while erring on the side of too big n not too small. If you can manage to supplement your cooling system with an electric fan and coolant temp gauge that would certainly give you some control on heat accumulation. That'll help you keep the motor at ideal op temp while your not rolling. Once you're rolling at speed you'll need to shut the fan off so air flow doesn't burn up the electric motor and your coolant temp will just have to be what it is and it will certainly be colder than ideal op temp.

There is the smallest chance that the bike will idle poorly while being over cooled however it's highly unlikely. If your motor idles well enough upon initial cold start up you won't note any idle problems while "over cooling"

Sky
04-15-2017, 5:36 AM
Instead of just ditching the valve alltogether. Consider knocking out the center, as if "stuck" open.
My question is, Why? What's yer goal? Eliminating the thermostat housing for looks? It gets in the way of yer foot on the highway pegs or what?

Speaking of hairbrained ideas... Has anybody tried running oil through the water jacket(s) and swapping the radiator for an oil cooler? Goal here would be to downsize the cooler, for looks mostly. But less weight is good too.

Hotel
04-15-2017, 8:28 AM
This went pretty far pretty fast.
Ran my 83 vt500 air cooled for a while, (complete opposite effect, i know)
No issues however.
Point being, i do agree parts are there for a reason, but these bikes arent as sensitive as we think. Old hondas especially, known for taking any beating and trucking on.
Take it off and enjoy it, if you run into an issue. Put it back on.
Cheers

sdustin
04-15-2017, 5:42 PM
My goal is to lose the thermostat housing and most of the plastic hoses and what not. For looks.

As far as replacement radiators I'm sure about any modern rad from a dirt bike or something like a vtr1000 will cool much better than the 30 year old thing I took off. And the water converted to oil cooled, I'm not sure if that was a half way joke but I think that would be awesome. If I thought the water pump would take that I'd consider it.

The whole reason I want to move the thermostat is for looks. To clean up the look of the bike. And get a brand new radiator that will look nice.

Tattooo
04-15-2017, 6:22 PM
The whole reason I want to move the thermostat is for looks. To clean up the look of the bike. And get a brand new radiator that will look nice.

Ok I'm going to try and help you with your problem..... I'm not familiar with your style bike so how big is your thermostat housing your wanting to get rid of for looks???? It must be huge and look worse than a radiator????? Am I right so far??

Tattooo
04-15-2017, 6:44 PM
Ok I just went and looked at some pics of your style bike....... It's a shaft drive bike right???????? What about the huge water reservoir it's bigger than the housing your trying to get rid of...

I'm not sure what your vision is on your bike but you need to think it over before you make it where you can't ride it........

I would ride and enjoy it rather than try and make it into something it will never be..... But again it's your bike..... Good luck

I'm backing out of this thread........

sdustin
04-15-2017, 10:40 PM
Ok I just went and looked at some pics of your style bike....... It's a shaft drive bike right???????? What about the huge water reservoir it's bigger than the housing your trying to get rid of...

I'm not sure what your vision is on your bike but you need to think it over before you make it where you can't ride it........

I would ride and enjoy it rather than try and make it into something it will never be..... But again it's your bike..... Good luck

The only factory parts that will be left is what's required. Most of the frame, swing arm, engine, radiator. I just wanted to know if anyone has done this before. I know it will "overcool" I know I need a way to top off the system. That's the reason for a radiator with a cap. I know I'll need a puke can for water. I just need to know if it will work. If someone has ran their vt500 "air cooled" I'm sure I won't have any issues. But now I'm thinking if my radiator cap is lower than the system I may have issues topping off the system.

sdustin
04-15-2017, 10:46 PM
The bike is going to be a street tracker style. People that have experience in water cooled chops chime in.

OleDirtyDoc
04-16-2017, 8:28 AM
Why take blinkers off or ride hardtails then? The fuck are you doing on a chopper site if the notion of modifying a motorcycle scares you so much?

I'm here cause I wanna look cool.choppers are like fashion accessories. who the fuck would even try to ride one?;)what the fuck does removing the blinkers or hardtailling have to do with the cooling system? I've modded many bikes,and I wouldn't remove the thermostat on my bike,just my opinion,and I've seen it done and the guy wondered why his bike ran a little warm.hmmm.anyway,it ain't my bike and if sdaustin wants to risk overheating, it's his bike.he asked for opinions and here is mine

OleDirtyDoc
04-16-2017, 8:40 AM

I'm with ya there,tattooo,cooling systems are meant to keep a bike cool,apparently they don't look KOOL.if ya don't want to deal with the ugly cooling system, maybe you have the wrong bike;)...I'm out

Jasonisdico
04-16-2017, 9:47 AM
Sounds like the old fucks are getting pissy when the younger guys want to do some 'radical' to their bikes.

Tattooo
04-16-2017, 9:51 AM
Sounds like the old fucks are getting pissy when the younger guys want to do some 'radical' to their bikes.

Nope not at all...... I did stupid shit when I was your age too......... I know better now.........Carry on......

Jasonisdico
04-16-2017, 10:04 AM

Backing out huh? Seems you just can't just shut up and move along. You keep saying 'but it's your bike' then piping back in when clearly the person has gotten enough positive feedback from real world applications to know it's most likely going to be perfectly fine.

OleDirtyDoc
04-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Nope not at all...... I did stupid shit when I was your age too......... I know better now.........Carry on......

yup.if I listened to the old guys when I was young...

Tattooo
04-16-2017, 2:46 PM
Backing out huh? Seems you just can't just shut up and move along. You keep saying 'but it's your bike' then piping back in when clearly the person has gotten enough positive feedback from real world applications to know it's most likely going to be perfectly fine.

I didn't say I wouldn't respond to people responding to my post.... I'm not giving anymore suggestions to the OP.........

It looks to be a tie yes and no...

sdustin
04-16-2017, 5:11 PM
The one post that shines above the rest to me is the guy that ran his vt500 "air cooled" that means to me that I shouldn't have any issues removing the thermostat housing.

As far as cooling. Now getting the system topped off while the cap is lower than the highest point I. The system that may be a problem.

I enjoy doing things that haven't been done exactly like I do them.

When I think modding I think beyond just slapping a bunch of chrome shit on a Harley. If you didn't use an angle grinder on it, it wasn't modded.

sdustin
04-16-2017, 5:15 PM
My previous build.
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o528/sdustin/20160417_154737_zpsb0w8k2gf.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/sdustin/media/20160417_154737_zpsb0w8k2gf.jpg.html)

TesticularCancer
04-16-2017, 5:15 PM
removing the thermostat may actually overheat the bike. if the coolant runs through the block too fast, not enough heat is absorbed and may cause hot spots in the engine while the coolant itself is cold. better to cut out the center and make a restrictor out of the old one. that way the coolant get warmer and actually transfers heat to the rad.

sdustin
04-16-2017, 5:16 PM
My previous build.
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o528/sdustin/20160417_154737_zpsb0w8k2gf.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/sdustin/media/20160417_154737_zpsb0w8k2gf.jpg.html)

And I did shit on that bike that was supposed to make it run like shit. It was a bitch to tune but it ran great when I got done.

sdustin
04-16-2017, 5:24 PM
removing the thermostat may actually overheat the bike. if the coolant runs through the block too fast, not enough heat is absorbed and may cause hot spots in the engine while the coolant itself is cold. better to cut out the center and make a restrictor out of the old one. that way the coolant get warmer and actually transfers heat to the rad.

The whole point is to lose the housing

pantspisser
04-17-2017, 12:52 AM
So the argument as to why the removal of the thermostat could cause overheating is a little clearer now. There is logic to it. I would still try it if you have a temp gauge though.

Now on to your your concerns about the cap being lower than the high point. It's only a slight issue. The ugly 90's cameros with the weak v6 had a radiator cap that was lower than the top of the heads. To burp the system you had to idle the car with the front end jacked up to make the rad cap the highest point. Once burped the cap still functioned as a safety blow off valve in the event of a boil over. Boiling steam will put equal pressure on the entire system regardless of elevation. The cap will always be the weak point etc.

If you need a vote of confidence I say do it man. Like you and several others have stated these metric motors are super forgiving. Even if something goes wrong and it overheats I highly doubt you'll cause any significant damage.

Back to my buddies Vulcan build that we removed the thermostat on: we also removed the electric fan all souley for looks. The next week we put heat wrap on his exhaust and was letting the bike idle to let the heat wrap smoke off n shrink up a bit. Being stupid we got to drinking and not paying attention and the bike eventually boiled over. After a long 24 hour unassisted cool down we filled the coolant system back up, burped it, reinstalled the fan to prevent future stupidity, zero problems ever since. He still rides that thing no thermostat in Florida years later.

OleDirtyDoc
04-17-2017, 10:26 AM

actually, kinda sounds the other way to me,but what do us old fucks know anyway?;).That's why I seldom give advice here.people ask for your opinions and get their panties in a bind when ya give it

Tattooo
04-17-2017, 10:53 AM
actually, kinda sounds the other way to me,but what do us old fucks know anyway?;).That's why I seldom give advice here.people ask for your opinions and get their panties in a bind when ya give it

You got that shit right....

I'd like to see a pic of before, when he first bought this bike.........

My previous build.
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o528/sdustin/20160417_154737_zpsb0w8k2gf.jpg[/URL]

Jasonisdico
04-17-2017, 11:56 AM

You've got a asshole comment to make about nearly everything. I see your name pop up and it's mostly followed by something shitty. Add something constructive or move the fuck along. Jeez.

OleDirtyDoc
04-17-2017, 12:06 PM
You've got a asshole comment to make about nearly everything. I see your name pop up and it's mostly followed by something shitty. Add something constructive or move the fuck along. Jeez.

hmmmm, he did earlier,but I guess if it is something that you don't want to hear,I guess maybe it isn't constructive;).I've seen a whole lot more advice come from tattooo than I have you.if you don't like the look of the coolant system,why not build an air cooled motor(isn't that basically what was said?)

Jasonisdico
04-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Yours and his first responses to the question. NEITHER is fucking helpful in any way. I've got air cooled, liquid cooled, and oil cooled bikes. I provided OP with some real world first hand knowledge and not bullshit conjecture like the two of you are spouting off. He also got other input from people who have done similar things. WE ALL GET IT, YOU TWO OLD FUCKS DON'T THINK IT'S A GOOD IDEA. We all realize that. You've made your point and no one cares. Move the hell along, why are you choosing to continually try and shit on some else? Supposed to be encouraging new ideas and/or trying to help, not just criticize.

sdustin
04-17-2017, 12:33 PM

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o528/sdustin/CAM00055_zpsyyyougq9.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/sdustin/media/CAM00055_zpsyyyougq9.jpg.html)

OleDirtyDoc
04-17-2017, 12:35 PM
good,you young fuck I'll move on.I'm done giving advice here

Tattooo
04-17-2017, 4:07 PM
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o528/sdustin/CAM00055_zpsyyyougq9.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/sdustin/media/CAM00055_zpsyyyougq9.jpg.html)

Nice looking bike... Thanks for posting the pic...

Tattooo
04-17-2017, 4:14 PM

That's the way you read it most people see it differently... How much do you help people??????? You sound just like what your saying I'm doing....

This thread isn't yours and I will move along when I get ready.... I'm not going to help the OP with his problems I think you can do that... But like I said before I'm still here to answer post that are directed at me... So I guess you need to let it drop.........

OleDirtyDoc
04-17-2017, 4:19 PM
That's the way you read it most people see it differently... How much do you help people??????? You sound just like what your saying I'm doing....

This thread isn't yours and I will move along when I get ready.... I'm not going to help the OP with his problems I think you can do that... But like I said before I'm still here to answer post that are directed at me... So I guess you need to let it drop.........

tattooo,this "kid" doesn't get it and probably never will.is he really worth the time?

Tattooo
04-17-2017, 4:30 PM
tattooo,this "kid" doesn't get it and probably never will.is he really worth the time?

I really think we are on the same page.... He thinks we are just trying to be negative and I think we are trying to help... If the OP want's to try something I say do it... Hell that's how you learn... Good or bad that's how you learn....

Hell when we were young there wasn't an internet and no one to ask for help.... So if we thought of something that might work and we did it.... If we fucked it up it cost us money and time... If it worked that was awesome.....

Today they can ask questions... If they don't like the answer so be it.... Then if it works great, if it gets fucked up..... So be it.....

Times are the same....

Plain and simple....