PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Paint.

1990Beck
04-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Fairly green builder here, and by fairly just picked up my first real build. '83 XJ550, not running, $200. Previous owners a good friend who says it kept flooding out due to carbs. Obviously going to rebuild carbs first (purchase included service manual) and get it running but looking to strip the paint off and leave the bare metal look on the tank. Im assuming I'll need to clear coat that, any tips on what clear coat to use and how to do it? Or take it to a pro to do? Thanks for any tips!

sdustin
04-10-2017, 3:50 PM
Aircraft stripper, Auto zone has it. Then just spray bomb a matte clear. If you want a rusted look you can mix some bleach salt and vinegar and spray it on. Sprinkle salt in places and it'll give the rust. Natural look.

Milge
04-10-2017, 5:49 PM
Clear coat on top of bare metal will rust eventually. I've read good things about boiled linseed oil. I want that bare metal look too, but I'm just gonna try to match that color as close as possible with a paint.

Hotel
04-11-2017, 3:10 PM
I second everything sdustin said.
Short and sweet

TECHHNYNE
04-11-2017, 3:43 PM
they make a clear powdercoat if you want to give that a try it will last longer then any clearcoat

Hotel
04-11-2017, 3:57 PM
Technyne.
I havent heard of that. That seems pretty reliable

Tattooo
04-11-2017, 4:06 PM
they make a clear powdercoat if you want to give that a try it will last longer then any clearcoat

But it will still rust underneath... It's made to go over several other colors...

sdustin
04-12-2017, 8:16 PM
Nothing wrong with a little rust. In my opinion bare metal doesn't look right without a little rust. At least on the tins.

TECHHNYNE
04-12-2017, 10:36 PM
But it will still rust underneath... It's made to go over several other colors...

yes it will stay rust underneeth but if you get a good thickness of clear on it it will stop rusting. Rust is caused by oxygen and if you cut the oxygen supply off theoretically the rust will stop.

but the only thing is that rust comes off metal fairly easy, you need to rust it enough so that you can wipe it where everythign that will falloff falls off and some color stays, then you can clear it for a better hold. or just do a rust look paint job

Tattooo
04-13-2017, 7:50 AM
yes it will stay rust underneeth but if you get a good thickness of clear on it it will stop rusting. Rust is caused by oxygen and if you cut the oxygen supply off theoretically the rust will stop.

Wanna bet?????

pantspisser
04-15-2017, 6:52 AM
Tattoo is right about the rust still occurring under pretty much any finish. All metals are porus and will always have some oxygen stored inside the granular structure that makes up the metal. Powdercoat does a little better because magnetism pulls the powder into the pores that are open to the surface. No metal is safe from corrosion regardless of finish to my knowledge.

To the OP though. That spraymax 2k rattle can clear coat seems to be a well loved product on here for gas tanks, though I haven't used it, on paper it seems like the best one can do for rattle can clear coat that is fuel resistant. Aircraft paint stripper is definitely the way to go if you insist on using a chemical paint stripper. I can give you brand recommendations but I've only used the stuff on aluminum aircraft not steel so my knowledge might not be useful there. I am curious why not just remove the paint with sand paper or careful hands and a wire wheel?

1990Beck
04-16-2017, 7:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

pantspisser I was going to go the angle grinder route with a strip disc before I heard about the chemical paint strippers. Now Im on the fence as I see positives and negatives for both. I'll have to check out spraymax 2k!

pantspisser
04-17-2017, 12:22 AM
The pain with chemical paint stripper is the mess and the mess can be caustic and if you don't get every drop of it cleaned off the tank it WILL without a doubt miff up whatever finish you decide to spray onto it. If the stripper is actually worth a damn it is bad for your health and you will spill this stuff everywhere (be careful with your pets kids etc). If it's one of the bio-friendly blends you'll have to apply it several times before you get all of the paint off and will most likely end up sanding a few small spots.

Chemical strippers are used so much in aviation because removing the paint with a wire wheel is kind of bad voodoo. You run a risk of removing metal which is an unforgivable offense on most metal structures which will subsequently require replacement (if it seems anal it's because it is but that's the way it is there). It's also particularly useful when trying to remove paint from sheet metal that is laiden with thousands of rivets. A wire wheel runs the risk of vibing those rivets lose. Suffice to say this is why these strippers are used so often on aircraft and are typically very powerful chemicals.

You'll almost never find an auto body shop using it because of the extra steps one must take to ensure a perfect post clean up and they're usually happy to paint over a few coats of old paint scuffed up with sanders and stripping is seldom mandatory.

A wire wheel is definitely the easiest weapon of choice for you man. If you find yourself concerned with removing material you can get ahold of these special nylon wire wheels. They have thick strands of plastic in lieu of individual wire strands. It'll still remove paint fast and it'll take hours of careless grinding before you remove any measurable amount of metal.

These little beauties are slowly becoming excepted even by the aircraft mechanics. Still cannot be used near rivets and in areas that require dye penetrant inspection. Simply put even the industry hell bent on chemical stripper is looking for ways to get away from it.

Here's a link to a ny-wheel. Good luck with your tank. Do post pics when you're finished and let us know how it all worked out for you man.

https://m.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31821656&KPID=999703&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Catch_All_-_Mobile&pla=pla_999703&k_clickid=0d729491-5fe4-4085-b083-a6fa7874517e

1990Beck
04-17-2017, 9:35 PM
Cheers pantspisser for all the knowledge! Its a bit down the line for me. Im rebuilding the carbs now, next is the fork then exhaust. Once she's purring its on to the tank.