PDA

View Full Version : New Here New with a fork question

TECHHNYNE
04-03-2017, 1:03 AM
Hey everyone My name is Andrew I am new here so i would like to introduce myself to everyone. I live in NY and although I am not newe to bikes, I am working my my first bike build that is not a chopper/cruiser type. I used to race closed circuit street bikes and dirt bikes.
I picked up a 1987Honda VT700c, its is just a mess right now its been sitting for a while and sat outside for the last year uncovered and untouched. was not kept properly but its an extremely good bike for a build.

I am tearing the bike apart and am here just checking out what people are up to. mostly here for info, knowledge and ideas.

since the bike did not come with front brakes at all, no calipers, master cylinder or levers and a seal leak.. I was thinking of replacing the whole complete front end of the bike with a Yamaha R1 front end. It would make my front end look alot beefier ofcourse but i am thinking it will also have 10 times better stopping power. Has anyone ever done something like this? or should I just rebuild the forks to stock and just add whatever is missing?

would like to hear peoples opinions and stories if anyone has any to share.

Thanks all and pleasure meeting everyone!

TheMKoi
04-05-2017, 6:09 AM
Hello and Welcome.

I am pretty new here but from looking around this site it is pretty clear the anything can be done to a motorcycle. If you are looking for a new front end I would take a look and figure out your steering stem length and diameter. Once you have these numbers then I would search for (look at modern Honda bikes, more likely to find a match in the same manufacturer) a front end that would be a direct bolt on. Depending on your end goal you might look at sport bike front ends or dirt bike front ends. I have spent a bit of time trying to stretch my front end out and in the end had to order longer fork tube to suit my build.

Happy Hunting and good luck with the build.

Hey everyone My name is Andrew I am new here so i would like to introduce myself to everyone. I live in NY and although I am not newe to bikes, I am working my my first bike build that is not a chopper/cruiser type. I used to race closed circuit street bikes and dirt bikes.
I picked up a 1987Honda VT700c, its is just a mess right now its been sitting for a while and sat outside for the last year uncovered and untouched. was not kept properly but its an extremely good bike for a build.

I am tearing the bike apart and am here just checking out what people are up to. mostly here for info, knowledge and ideas.

since the bike did not come with front brakes at all, no calipers, master cylinder or levers and a seal leak.. I was thinking of replacing the whole complete front end of the bike with a Yamaha R1 front end. It would make my front end look alot beefier ofcourse but i am thinking it will also have 10 times better stopping power. Has anyone ever done something like this? or should I just rebuild the forks to stock and just add whatever is missing?

would like to hear peoples opinions and stories if anyone has any to share.

Thanks all and pleasure meeting everyone!

Joseph77
04-05-2017, 8:35 AM
I would look at the neck bearing part number for the front end that you want to use. I suggest looking at All Balls or even Bike Bandit. If the part number is the same then the only thing you would have to look at is stem length. The Japanese bikes are usually pretty good about standardizing their stuff. For example: a Road Star and certain year R6 front forks will bolt on to a XS650 chassis. Hopefully this helps.

OleDirtyDoc
04-05-2017, 4:41 PM
All Balls Bearings has a compatibility chart on their website. type in your make,model,and year and it tells you what bikes shared neck bearing sizes with the model you typed in.doesn't show stem height,though

TECHHNYNE
04-10-2017, 6:02 AM
Awesome guys thanks.
I was able to het bearings i need but i did come to another issue because i was not able to get the correct info online

The gsxt forks are 29" and the vt700c forks are 34". Now im just thinking what do do now run them shorter or go back to stock

OleDirtyDoc
04-10-2017, 6:07 AM
lower the back?

TECHHNYNE
04-10-2017, 6:54 AM
lower the back?
How would i do that? Just get shorter shocks?

I could just reweld the brackets but i dont want to put too much time into this as it is spring and i rather be riding it. I have another bike i can be building once this is running

Sky
04-10-2017, 8:39 AM
Quickest cheapest way to lower a swingarm bike is with struts. Make 'em any length you want.
Many ways to skin a cat...
Rebuild the stock forks if the tubes arent pitted.
You can swap tubes/lowers from any bike as long at the diameters match the trees... axles, spacers and brakes will need some thought/effort. Pay attention to overall length too.
Stem swaps are not unheard of.
Whole necks can be cut/swapped/welded if you wanna go that far
In a hurry to ride but not in a hurry to stop? make sure the rear brake works...
Ride now add front brakes later. If youre ok with that sort of thing.