PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Info on Electronic Speedometers (Honda Shadow)

xxxxx
03-26-2017, 9:24 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking to switch the speedometer on my Shadow Spirit (06). It has an electronic pulse type speedo, not a mechanical one.

- Does anyone know how the speed sensor works as far as specifics? I'm sure faster wheel turn = more pulses, but I'm looking for a ratio/technical data on it.

- Any idea on compatibility with aftermarket speedometers?

As an alternative, is there a way to convert the shadow from an electronic pickup/speed sensor to a mechanical speedometer cable?

Thanks all!

bluesrock
03-29-2017, 5:23 PM
I wish I knew... I'd love to put a sporty tank on my '04 Shadow 750. I just don't know what to do with the electronic speedo on the stock tank.

SleazyRider82
03-29-2017, 7:45 PM
I'm looking too, new to the site but this is the first post I've found for this issue. 03 spirit 750 here and I already bought the tank from TJ. Here's what I've found and am leaning towards, I don't if anyone has bought or seen this speedo maybe they can comment on it. The way it reads is it programmable so won't have to worry about ratios...not sure, haven't messed with speedos before. This is my first build so I doing a lot of research and reading a lot of forums. Thanks

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Electric-Speedometer-3-3-8-Inch-Diameter,64342.html

DustyDave
03-29-2017, 9:58 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking to switch the speedometer on my Shadow Spirit (06). It has an electronic pulse type speedo, not a mechanical one.

Thanks all!

Can you hook up your multimeter set to millivolts and see how many pulses it generates per revolution of the wheel. If it generates one or two I can think of several.
Dusty

phatty6325
05-21-2017, 1:29 PM
i installed one of these http://www.jpcycles.com/product/207-001 ,they also make a mechanical one
i installed mine between the risers now i just have to calibrate it so its accurate my bike is a 98 shadow vt1100 c3

SleazyRider82
09-18-2017, 3:57 AM
yo phatty, hows that speedo working for ya?

punkrockmike
09-20-2017, 3:37 PM
im running a Drag specialties Electronic one on my 2014 phantom. took some messing around to get it to read fairly accurate but looks great on my bike now compared to having the huge stock one or no speedo at all

phatty6325
07-08-2018, 9:39 AM
yo phatty, hows that speedo working for ya?

works good not real accurate but i havnt played with the settings

DustyDave
07-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Well they got cheap enough so I tried one of the chinese cheapie GPS on on one of the Scouts and it works great.
I just threw together a fast n nasty mount to see if it worked, hooked up 3 wires hid the aerial wire under the tank and taped the antenna into the harness between the tank and bars. That's the antenna module just barely showing at the front of the tank. It works so good I'm going to use it that way till winter then maybe a better mount. I gave $51.00 just before Christmas but they are up to $70 some odd now.
Dusty