PDA

View Full Version : 87 Honda VT1100- My first chop

oldspimp
12-28-2016, 9:20 AM
Hello all,

Would like to start off by saying this forum has been a great inspiration to hack my bike up :cool: You can really learn a lot from the craftsmen here who are willing to drop some knowledge on the internet :killerjob:

I picked up this bike about 5 years ago with a rusted out gas tank, dead battery, not charging and so on... Found a tank locally from a newer Honda 1800 and hacked it on. Rode it for about a year but was never really happy with the looks, I knew I had to hard tail it. Well I cut the frame up and let the bike sit for years due to my lack of knowledge about fabricating and frame building. Did a lot of reading and pic hunting for ideas and finally get back on this project in the past few months. I had a plate machined to adapt to the rear diff and built the rear end using that and some creativity working around the drive shaft. I wanted the styling lines from the tank to flow with the seat so I picked up a stock 1800 seat and trimmed down the back and added a metal pan to mount with. I like the idea of repurposing factory parts. I originally used the front fender to make a rear but it was much too small, so I eventually found a Victory fender locally. Used the factory inner structure to mount it. I have the wiring mostly reworked and cleaned up. Right now I am finishing mounting the seat so I can work on the side covers, I hope I can rework the factory covers. Would love input and criticism as I continue this build, if it were not for resources like this forum I know I wouldn't have gotten this far!

Cheers :cheersmate:

oldspimp
12-29-2016, 1:55 PM
Got the seat mounted and did a test fit. Having trouble visualizing a paint scheme... I don't want anything too bright or wild but I feel like I would just be playing it safe painting it black. 73615

Also widened the controls 1 1/4 and added bmx pegs.73616

oldspimp
01-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Frame painted and ready to do some assembly!

savedsammy
01-11-2017, 6:51 PM
looks good

oldspimp
01-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Did some paint. Yep, it's just black :cool:

oldspimp
01-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Got everything together and went for the first ride! Noticed it had decent low end power but really lacking at higher rpms and full throttle. Pulled the carbs and they don't seem gunked up or restricted. May try to shim the needles and see what happens. I have added pics of plugs if anyone has tuning advice. :cheersmate:

oldspimp
02-07-2017, 9:29 PM
Little update: Carbs are jetted and built. Running great. Also installed new bars with internal wiring, what a pain! 74868