PDA

View Full Version : speedo swap

deelux
06-22-2010, 10:14 PM
My friend has a 81 Yamaha inline 4 cylinder, it has this big square computer looking thing that has the tach, speedo, warning lights, all the good stuff but he wants to simplify everything and just run a small speedo and get rid of all that crap my question is does anyone know ratio on the speedo cable and if its mechanical I have a small speedo that I'm not using that we'd like to use just need to know the ratio on the cable and if its mechanical. Anyone ever done this?

lang
06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
all rice I have worked with work best w/ 2240:60. You'll know if it's mechanical if it's driven off the front wheel and has a big fuckin speedo cable sticking out of it. Most likely it is.

deelux
06-23-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll look at it when I get to his place my other question is can you Just changed the cable to The right ratio or is it all in the speedo

lang
06-23-2010, 1:05 PM
the speedo drive on the wheel and the wheel size set the ratio. the speedo itself is calibrated to read a certain ratio. The cable is the same for all motorcycles save for the length and the way it hooks up to the drive on the wheel.

So you can re-use your stock cable because it doesn't affect anything. Just get a 2240:60 speedo.

hchopper
06-26-2010, 11:04 AM
just for reference do you happen to know the size of the front tire on the bike.