PDA

View Full Version : New project!

jkidd
12-21-2016, 8:41 PM
This past weekend, I picked up a mildly neglected 1992 Vulcan 500. It had sat in a guy's shop for years... The PO I bought it from had intentions to do something with it, but just never got around to it.

I was able to pick the bike up for $180.

When I picked it up, it needed:

Battery
New positive battery wire.
Fuel Tank
New Ignition switch (keys were lost, ignition was cut out along the way)
Wouldn't start

After a good carb clean, and wiring in a toggle switch, I was able to get it started. For the moment, I have a funnel and fuel line rigged up to act as "fuel tank." There were a number of missing/burned out bulbs as well. Easy stuff.

I am thrilled.

Originally, I had intended to get this one running and flip it for some cash into the next project. At this point...for no more than I'm into it...I think I am going to make a bobber out of it. Basically, build it the way I want to ride it, and along the way if someone wants to pay for it...GREAT.

So, my initial thoughts are...

Find a peanut style sportster tank to bolt to the backbone.
Tractor Supply rear fender.
Either wire a key back in...or keep everything on a master toggle and hide it somewhere.
Simplify the gauges (maybe)
Simple seat with velcro panel battery cover.

I'm also debating deleting the airbox...but not sure I want to mess with that.

Thoughts?

Tattooo
12-21-2016, 9:38 PM
Since you didn't get the key did you also not get a title??????

jkidd
12-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately no title...but I made sure to do all my homework before I got it from the guy. Vin Audit report, NICB Theft check, called the Oklahoma DMV (it was last titled in OK) to check for any liens, etc. I've also talked to my Texas Regional Service Center about the process to get it titled.

Had it not checked out on MULTIPLE fronts, I wouldn't have done it.

Fortunately, getting a bonded title in Texas is a pretty easy and reasonably inexpensive process. I'm going to start working on THAT tomorrow before anything gets modified too much.

A few years ago, I got burned on a bike without a title...long story...and since then have put things through a LOT more scrutiny.