PDA

View Full Version : Inches from giving up on my XS

ChoppyGee
06-22-2010, 9:38 PM
I can't get any fuck'n spark guys.

Changed coils twice changed points and all that. stator seems to check out ok. I haven't tried a stock Reg/rec did the homebuilt one I don't know what to do.

any tips comments. ANYTHING! i'm about to ghost ride it into the river.

sure
06-22-2010, 9:50 PM
What's the battery at volt wise?

ChoppyGee
06-22-2010, 10:26 PM
.55 volts....hahah i'll put it on the charger for the night but i don't think thats my only issue.

Ember
06-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Stock wiring or did you customize it?

rustrocket84
06-22-2010, 11:18 PM
You should hit up Scottienooo. He was having similar problems with his not too long back if I remember right.

motorlou
06-22-2010, 11:23 PM
first off slow down hause....the rectifier, stator have nothin to do with your spark problem that is a completely different system(charging). skip the wiring completely and wire the bike as follows.
make sure you battery is charged

1) most coils don't have + or - so run a wire from either post of the coil to the battery, if you have
2 coils then connect 1 post from each and send to battery +.

2) the "other post" will be going to the condensor packs which if you have a stock xs are located under the backbone/tank connected to the top motormount i believe. now you have 2 wires coming from the "other post" on the coils, 2 wires coming out of the condensor pack and 2 wires coming out of the points.

3) connect 1 wire from the coils "other post", 1 wire from the points and 1 wire from the condensor together. do the same with the other 3. i forget which color wire from the points (orange/white) control the left/right cyl. spark.

make sure the points are opening/closing, just for a quick reference, i slip a businees card between the points to check the gap..........now crank that bitch!

make sure you have good ground from the battery to the engine.

if you don't get spark there are only a few things that might be wrong. you don't have good ground, your spark plug wires are fucked up or your condensors are no good. also i have run into the problem that the sparkplugs where no good, as stupid as that sounds i fucked with a bike an entire day once (no spark) and as soon as i put the new plugs in.....problem fixed. it is really as simple as that bro, points are as simple as it gets

ChoppyGee
06-23-2010, 6:15 PM
I got spark!! thanks guys.

CMA406
06-24-2010, 10:09 PM
for what its worth, with electircal shit, always chill out and relax for a day and look at it with fresh eyes.... ive made alot of problems worse by not relaxing and taking a step back

EvolOner
07-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Not much, but I was wondering if you could explain how you got your spark. I am sure a few people that end up with the same type of problem could use some more options! Thanx!