PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar swap question.

Mattydubya
12-01-2016, 9:30 PM
I'm swapping out handlebars on my 2002 Yamaha xvs1100 in the near future and got ones that are 12" rise x 7" pullback. A question about the cables ( since I can't find a straight answer ) if the stock handlebars are basically reversed from the ones I'm getting , 7" rise x 12" pullback , why would I need to buy extended cables? It seems to me the most I would need to do is re-route some things. Educate me if I'm wrong.

Sky
12-02-2016, 12:47 PM
Should be close. The cables will have to make a sharper bend, maybe. Can't see the angles from here...
But with some creative routing you should be alright. Sometimes it takes bolting up the new bars to get a proper measurement anyway.
Sometimes the hydraulic lines are the exception. But I'm guessing the stock ones are rubber, so going to shielded line is an upgrade anyway.

Mattydubya
12-02-2016, 5:20 PM
This is how the cables are routed now.

This is with the stock handlebars. Since my arms need a bit more of a reach, I rotated them up much more than in the position they're shown, giving the cables some slack.
Forgot to mention that I also ordered a SS extended brake line (25") with the new bars just to be on the safe side.
Thanks.

Mattydubya
12-04-2016, 6:22 PM
Getting the bars in tomorrow, let's see how it sizes up. In the meantime, the brake cable and fittings arrived and look nice

Mattydubya
12-31-2016, 11:21 PM
So I got the bars, brake cable installed but more was needed. The electric wires had to be rerouted, the clutch cable needed to be replaced with 6" over stock length clutch cable.
When bleeding the brakes, do yourself a favor and just buy a Mity-vac system, MUCH easier. And yes, you'll have to remove the tank to reroute the wires so they don't stretch. I also need front brake pads(unrelated), the throttle cables and choke are no problem with 12" tall handlebars. I'll post a pic once its done.