PDA

View Full Version : nitrous cb650?

oddballmotorsports
11-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Something tells me this would be a bad idea. I have this nitrous kit kicking around that's just begging to be installed on something. has anyone sprayed a small shot (10-20hp) of nitrous on an air cooled 650? something tells me that it sounds like a great way to fry rings and leave piston material on the cylinder walls due to not enough cooling capacity. but with all the regular preparations (mechanical and tuning) to the engine for spraying, would it survive in small bursts? since these motors are a dime a dozen these days, I'm not opposed to just trying it..

Westboundbiker
11-03-2016, 6:32 AM
Shit, might as well try it, especially if you're not too concerned about the motor. Post results!

goofyfoot2001
11-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Yes and video

Westboundbiker
11-04-2016, 6:23 AM
Yes, definitely video. I wanna see that shit!

TheWhiteDevil
11-04-2016, 8:46 AM
I too have been interested in doing this to an old KZ motor, The issue that I was concerned was how to retard my timing during the shot. with points I dont see it as possible as it would be with a dynatek ignition, even then I havent figured it out.

Keep us posted how you make this work

Jessechop
11-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Nitrous is great when set up properly. Air cooled is fine, again as lons as you are set up right.

The CB650 being carbed it will be nessicary to run a wet kit. Therefore you are not going to spray the air box. You would need 4 nozzles, one between each carb and cylinder head. You can spray in front of the carbs, but it mixes much better behind the carbs. Since you are looking at such a small shot you wont need a huge fuel pump, but I would opt for a decent one so pressure stays good. Keep in mind that jetting will change off bottle pressure and fuel pressure. Typicaly I am running 5lbs of fuel to 1100 lbs of nitrous on wet set ups.

Good luck!

Jessechop
11-06-2016, 11:42 AM
I too have been interested in doing this to an old KZ motor, The issue that I was concerned was how to retard my timing during the shot. with points I dont see it as possible as it would be with a dynatek ignition, even then I havent figured it out.

Keep us posted how you make this work

I wouldnt worry about pulling timing with little shots. We regularly run up to a 40 hp shot without pulling timing. Most places suggest 1.5 degrees for every 50 hp added and thats a safe number.