PDA

View Full Version : Bigger bike (vlx)

Reflexion
10-31-2016, 12:59 AM
lately I feel like I need to upgrade to larger bike. I'm 6'4" and feel a little too big for the vlx. Im Looking for something cheap, super dependable, and that can carry a passenger

Im considering getting either an old goldwing and doing the ratty bagger build, or going with a Vulcan vn800a. I see these for 1500 -2000 with low miles fairly often. The vulcans are easy to make look cool.. and I could always put the stock seat and rear fender back on for when the old lady wants to ride. So that's a big plus right there

I'm wondering if either gl1100or vn800a will fit my lanky ass much better than the vlx. And if the vn800 would even have enough power, especially compared to the gl1100 which I've read has plenty.

Thanks for any advice

djstar3
11-01-2016, 6:06 PM
You can find a yamaha roadstar for $2500 if you look hard and am patient. Plenty of room , power and can be chopped.

Westboundbiker
11-02-2016, 11:55 AM
I know my tall buddy (6' 4") was way more comfortable on my old V star than he ever was on his shadow.

sdustin
11-06-2016, 9:43 PM
I paid 1800 for my 2002 vt1100 and couldn't be happier. I was also on a vlx. It's a great bike. Self adjusting valves I didn't like the drive shaft look at first but it's maintenance free. Also makes removing the rear wheel much easier. And since May I've put almost 10k miles on it, with nothing but has oil change and a new set of tires.Very comfortable I have a windshield which is ugly as sin but very nice to have, in September I sold my car. I'm now on the shadow full time. I can't recommend honda enough. And the vt1100 is a big, cheap dependable, easy to maintain bike.

Westboundbiker
11-07-2016, 5:21 AM
Just as a heads up sdustin, don't try to be 'maintenance free' on a driveshaft bike- you need to regularly change the gear oil, or that final drive assembly will, at best wear out, or at worst lock up on you.

sdustin
11-10-2016, 9:19 PM
Just as a heads up sdustin, don't try to be 'maintenance free' on a driveshaft bike- you need to regularly change the gear oil, or that final drive assembly will, at best wear out, or at worst lock up on you.

Yeah but4oz of oil every 26k is basically maintenance free compared to lube and adjusting a chain almost constantly

Westboundbiker
11-11-2016, 5:19 AM
Fair enough! I just personally know a buddy who went down 8 hours from home, and really fucked up his leg because he didn't take proper care of his driveline, so I'm kind of wary.