PDA

View Full Version : How can I paint bedliner and get a smooth finish?

djturnz
06-21-2010, 1:33 PM
This isn't really a Japanese specific TECH question, but since there is no general TECH, here goes.

How can I lay on the paintable bedliner and get a smooth finish? I know they sell the textured rollers for adding grip to your bed, but I want a smooth finish. I was thinking that a brush would show bristle marks. Perhaps a regular paint roller or a sponge brush?

This isn't actually for my bike, but my truck. Though I was thinking of doing my rear bike fender in bedliner if I can get a smooth finish.

I bought a couple gallons to do a truck bed, and ended up selling the truck, so I still have it in my garage.

Any thoughts?

ZUnit
06-21-2010, 5:21 PM
Isn't bedliner impregnated with little peaces of rubber?. I guess if you filtered the little pieces out than you might get a bit smoother than you would without. I think your best bet would be to spray it but I dont think you are gonna get a paint quality smoothness.

Chris

66triumph
06-21-2010, 6:50 PM
the bed liner we spray at work has plastic BB looking things in it for texture, good luck with any attempts to filter anything out... my money says it cant be done.

-A.

P.S. why would you want to do this?

convergecult
06-22-2010, 7:56 AM
Unfortunately there is no way to spray bedliner and get a smooth finish. Have you considered powder coat? It's bomb proof and there are now a ton of color options. I used to work in a body shop and went to school for paint and sometimes it's still cheaper to pay for powder coat than it is to paint myself. Just my 2 cents.

crawler65
06-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Durabak (SP) sells bed liner with out any texture media added. Just thick paint-able rubberized stuff. I have seen a Jeep that was painted with it, looked damn good, even had a little shine to it. The guy said that he sprayed it, and then put on a UV block, and the UV block made it a little glossy.

Sighless
06-22-2010, 1:33 PM
There's a truck that drives around town that is flat black with glossy flames on it all done in bed liner. It looks cool; but The "Glossy" does have a little texture to it. I'm pretty sure you CAN'T wet sand it, my guess is some texture is going to be there no matter what you try.