PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for my XS

Moose
06-21-2010, 8:21 AM
So, during the tare down of this bike i decided i was going to just do all my own wiring. Little did i know i know absolutely nothing about this shit. Any suggestions on where to start? I'm in PA so i think i'll need turn signals and all that other junk. Cant seem to find anyone who will inspect it without them. Please grant your wisdom to this dumbass who threw all his wiring away.

shop102
06-21-2010, 8:58 AM
Are you sure you need all that crap. If you do i would find another harness

lang
06-21-2010, 8:59 AM
let's start with: points or electric iggy? Where in pa are you (I'm outside of phila)?

Also decide what you want to run. Legally you need a horn. Pa is sketchy on the turn sigs - but in the end you shouldn't need them. Try independents for inspection, they're usually a little less uptight. A lot of places don't really know what is necessary equipment so they play safe and make a determination that they won't inspect unless certain features are there, regardless of Pa Code's specifications.. I don't run anything but a head and taillight, but I also don't get my bike inspected.

To pass inspection, you'll also need a front fender, chain guard, and 2 mirrors.

Here's your master list:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/subchapHtoc.html

Moose
06-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm about 45min north of Harrisburg. I have an electronic ignition. You have no problems with the law running it un-inspected?

JH282
06-21-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

lang
06-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I've fortunately never had a problem w/ cops. I assume that if I were to get pulled over for something else, they'd hammer me on the inspection and probably make me have it towed back home.

my xs I've only had on the road since February, but my other bike I've had for the last 20 or so years and I just always forget to get it inspected. I usually ride 4k or 5k miles a year, which isn't a huge amount, but I'm also not sitting at home.

JH pretty much has you covered with that link

Rabbit
06-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Here is one for hondas... I know the XS is different, but this is a general idea of the minimal of what you will need, since you chucked your wires out.
http://www.chopcult.com/uploads_user/2000/1019/38702.jpg

Doubleclutch
06-21-2010, 1:23 PM
I have a wiring harness for a 75 points system that cam off the bike sence I am going to rewire a custom harness threw the tubes to hide what i can. If it will work for yea I will let it go for $25 + shipping. Oh and I live in north western Pa close to the Ohio line so shipping wont be to much.

Moose
06-21-2010, 3:27 PM
Nice, thanks for the help everyone.

viz
06-21-2010, 4:11 PM
Im right outside philly in suburbs and I run it un inspected. So far so good but that doesnt mean shit. Any day I could get nailed for no inspection. Im just gonna tell them I just got it on the road and Im shakin it down. I run no turn signals or front fender. I had a cop follow me yesterday for about 4 miles. I hand signaled at a light and I went on my way. He went on his.

shop102
06-21-2010, 10:34 PM
that inspection thing BLOWS. Down here all you need is 20 bux for the tag and a bill of sale. gotta love the dirty

Moose
06-22-2010, 8:23 AM
Hell yeah dude. Most likely I'm just going to throw all the stupid junk on that they want, then tare it all off when i get the sticker.