PDA

View Full Version : New here with a stupid idea

johndoe
10-07-2016, 8:06 AM
So I'll try to keep this short.
Grabbed an 81 xj650 as a bibber project for my girlfriend. They said "it just needs carb work" when I got there he handed me the carbs in a bucket and the bikes been under a cover outside with them off. I knew it was bad news but for $100 I figured it was worth a shot. Motor is smoked, one cylinder was full of water when I pulled the head.

Then a friend offered me a running 94 cbr600, in exchange for a 12 pack. Plastics are all gone and no title.

Sport bikes aren't my thing, I'd like to make a chop out if the CBR. I've seen decent chops of gsxr's, but the problem I think will be the carbs, they face like straight up on the CBR.

Anyone seen or done anything like this with a CBR? I talked to cycle one about doing a frame, but I need to send them the motor, rad, all that shit, they Fab the frame and send it all back. Frame price was good, but shipping to and from would kill me.

I know this isn't a great idea, but I'm really good at making bad decisions.

datadavid
10-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you could have a lot more fun for a lot less $

bluesrock
10-07-2016, 5:28 PM
Many easier ways to punish yourself. I'd start by just setting a large pile of cash on fire. Maybe hit yourself in the head with a hammer while the cash burns.

ridgerunner1965
10-07-2016, 6:15 PM
Many easier ways to punish yourself. I'd start by just setting a large pile of cash on fire. Maybe hit yourself in the head with a hammer while the cash burns.

this^ buy a running bike and go from there.take the other two apart and part out on ebay.

ridgerunner1965
10-07-2016, 6:35 PM
in all fairness the xs can be fixed. it will prob be worth about 1/5 of the cash you have in it but it can be done.

the cbr i would purchase and part out faster than a duck on a june bug.

NO TITLE! i could deal with that if it was a more desirable bike like a pan or knuckle.

also make sure your girl really wants a bike and will ride it. ive seen many chiks think they want to ride then the first time they dump it in sum loose gravel they are fukkin done!your girl may not be like this but many are.

if she is out in the shop helpin yu grind and weld,cleaning carbs with a toothbrush then yu may have a jewle worth building a bike for.

johndoe
10-08-2016, 12:18 PM
she hung out/ helped (as much as she could) with the shadow, and some other projects i have going on. she's been riding the shadow, for a season now.

so far i'm only into both bikes for $100 and a 12 pack
it may not bethe most practicle thing, but i like building stupid shit--

just need to figure out how to manage the frame around the motor

ridgerunner1965
10-08-2016, 4:22 PM
well ok. you have a non running xs and a running cbr with no title.

just saw the neck off the titled xs and weld it on the cbr frame. you now have a yamonda with a title.

then proceed purtyin up the rest of the bike.

if any cops ask yu wtf is this thing? just say "i guess its a xs cuz that what the title say mossifer"

seriously tho this may be legal in many states. oh as a side note just grind the word honda off any side covers etc so you dont cornfuse the mossifer looking at it.

Deaf
10-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Part out the CBR man
You could reuse some parts from the CBR such as the brake calipers, foot pegs, gauge cluster..fenders? front suspension wheels....you could even re engineer the carbs to use on the XS it all depends on what your willing to build and what you can fix ......the XS is a true chopper.... the CBR chopper idea, while cool, it is HUGE undertaking better reserved for someone who has a bit more experience

Westboundbiker
10-10-2016, 4:26 AM
Guys, he doesn't have an XS, he has an XJ. Which in my experience is a shitty platform in general... engines are pretty crumby, hard to work on, and not attractive.

johndoe
10-10-2016, 7:32 AM
YEAH, the old bike was an xj-- so the driveshaft was part of the swingarm, which really left me bound. i was looking for something like an xj550 because they were chain driven, then i just hardtail it, maybe modify the mounts.

but the cbr came along for free. looked around, found lots of gsxr's made into chops-- but no cbrs

Dinnertimedave
10-10-2016, 2:59 PM
Picture from another site may be of interest, not a CBR but the guy had problems with carbs fouling the frame. Not to everyone's taste but definitely different.......

johndoe
10-10-2016, 3:31 PM
i was actually thinking of doing something similar , but with the air cleaner end and pods, and tuck them downwards, instead of up and over the frame.

the first thing i need to do is move a couple bikes from the garage to the shed to give myself a little more room to dick around

johndoe
10-11-2016, 8:52 AM
i'd like to do someting like this

Westboundbiker
10-11-2016, 10:12 AM
dude, go for it. I love the uniqueness of it- not a ton of guys chopping newer i-4s. It'll certainly be a challenge though.

johndoe
10-11-2016, 10:44 AM
YEAH, no doubt it will be tough. i've been doing alot of standing back and looking/thinking. lol

johndoe
11-18-2016, 10:48 AM
well, me and the GF split ways, so this project is on hold. instead i will be hardtailing my shadow now that i dont have to worry about bouncing her ass of the back

Fruttolo
11-19-2016, 8:53 AM
Sorry for the split dude but this last message cracked me up, that's one way to solve the problem noone had thought about

Anyways I'd still do a chop with a cbr engine, may be pretty crazy if you do it right. Something with the lines of rooke's ktm maybe