PDA

View Full Version : steering stem slop.. wtf is going on here?

Twinkies
06-20-2010, 4:11 PM
Bike is an 86 rebel 450... been riding it for a couple years now and never had a problem with play in the steering neck.. took the front end off during my build.. got everyting mocked up and put back together to road test. The only thing I noticed was now I had a little play in the front end when braking.. no big deal I thought, just need to tighten it up to specs when it goes back together again after paint. So now its all back together, tightened down per sequence in my manual, and play is even worse. I take it apart again, ignore the specs, and crank the shit out of the adjusting nut on top of the neck with my spanner wrench. Still loose. I use a 3lb sledge and a flat blade screw driver to beat on the adjusting nut, and get another half turn out of it, but it still has play! I dont get it, everything is put back the way it was taken off, and I remember when i took it apart the first time the adjusting nut came off real easy. I'd hate to spend $60+ on new bearings and still have the same problem.. whats the deal?
diagram: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m2155sch2778

HWC
06-20-2010, 8:19 PM
those balls an shitty races are 24 years old,
id say they probobly shot
,,go with a set of ALLBALLS tapered bearins/races

Twinkies
06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
ALL BALLS it is.. cant wait to get my hands on em! haha.. thanks.