PDA

View Full Version : Late model CB750 advice

TheGeneral
08-25-2016, 9:50 AM
Have an opportunity to pick up a 93 CB750 pretty cheap and thinking about building a hardtail with it. Don't know much about the CB's, what should i look for when i go to check it out? Supposedly it fires right up and engine is advertised as excellent mechanically. It's not really in running condition so i will not be able to ride it.

Ideally i'd like to keep the stock forks, mag wheels, and talking to Cycle One about a frame.

What kind of problems do these bikes have? I always viewed the honda's a bulletproof, but not sure if that's really true when it comes to the 90's CB's.

Tattooo
08-25-2016, 11:10 AM
Supposedly it fires right up and engine is advertised as excellent mechanically.

It's not really in running condition so i will not be able to ride it.

I have a question???????? How can it be both??????

Those are great bikes if they were taken care of.......

TheGeneral
08-25-2016, 11:35 AM
I should clarify...the engine is excellent mechanically. The controls are not on the bars, speedo is hanging off, etc. It runs, but is not in a "ride-able" condition. Owner started to do a cafe conversion and only go so far.

Tattooo
08-25-2016, 11:49 AM
I should clarify...the engine is excellent mechanically. The controls are not on the bars, speedo is hanging off, etc. It runs, but is not in a "ride-able" condition. Owner started to do a cafe conversion and only go so far.

I hope it's cheap?????? It's a parts bike now because there is no telling what he has fucked up....... It takes a LOT of time to put things back together........

farmall
08-25-2016, 1:32 PM
I wouldn't give much over over three (maybe four if all the parts are in nice shape) hundred bucks for an aborted project and I'd pull a cold compression check (spin starter with jumper cables with throttle held open if wiring no workee) on all four cylinders. It may run nicely but compression checks tell a lot more. Inspect plugs when ya check compression.

If compression is good and the oil doesn't look like chocolate milk (even air-cooled engines can get wet if improperly stored, and it happens often) they can make a decent machine.

I wouldn't put a frame on one unless I took the easy way out and did a neck transplant to retain the stock VIN.

They are fun bikes but the point of doing one is keeping costs cheep. They have no particular vices so suggest putting it back together and test riding it before spending on anything else. That's the safe bet and not much work if everything is there.

It's a buyers market for non-riders and people hate turning down dead Presidents. I like to bring money in twenties because sellers can't resist a thick manly wad.

Bargaining points are everything ya can't test by riding.

Old Honda wiring often benefits from replacement (crumbly connectors etc) so chopping can make a pretty reliable machine even better.