PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Swap???

militant83
08-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Has anyone ever tried to swap a sport bike swing arm onto a cruiser? If so how did it work out?

Tattooo
08-22-2016, 4:58 PM
Has anyone ever tried to swap a sport bike swing arm onto a cruiser? If so how did it work out?

What kind of bike year etc????????? Damn I wish people would think about a question before they ask it???????????????

What would be the difference??????? All they do is let the tire go up and down.......... Are you talking about an extended swing arm??????

militant83
08-22-2016, 5:23 PM
I was just asking in general across all the Japanese cruiser makes. I wasn't really asking for one make or model. Just wanted to see if it had been done at all with success and see how well the swap went.

I'm just tossing some build ideas around and thought using a sport bike swing arm would be an easy way to do a mono-shock conversion on a cruiser that isn't normally monoshock. It would take some work figuring out the top mounting point but it would be a good starting point.

Tattooo
08-22-2016, 6:29 PM
I was just asking in general across all the Japanese cruiser makes. I wasn't really asking for one make or model. Just wanted to see if it had been done at all with success and see how well the swap went.

I'm just tossing some build ideas around and thought using a sport bike swing arm would be an easy way to do a mono-shock conversion on a cruiser that isn't normally monoshock. It would take some work figuring out the top mounting point but it would be a good starting point.

Now that's the question you should have asked in the first place........... Thanks

21guns
08-23-2016, 2:26 PM
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29421

Its a harley but I dont think thatl matter much its what you asked for.

militant83
08-23-2016, 7:30 PM
Yes exactly what I was looking for thanks

Jasonisdico
08-24-2016, 11:07 PM
Most sport bike swing arms are gonna be aluminum and setup with a 3 link dogbone suspension. You're better off mono-shocking your stock swing arm. I took a Suzuki savage stock swingarm, stretched it 5", mono-shocked it, and ended up with a 6" lower seat height for my wife.

Swapping swingarmz means dealing with new bearing, pivot bolts, axles, brakes, sprockets, offsets, etc. it's a major undertaking and just based on the question is probably a bit over your head. No offense meant.

militant83
08-25-2016, 5:42 AM
Most sport bike swing arms are gonna be aluminum and setup with a 3 link dogbone suspension. You're better off mono-shocking your stock swing arm. I took a Suzuki savage stock swingarm, stretched it 5", mono-shocked it, and ended up with a 6" lower seat height for my wife.

Swapping swingarmz means dealing with new bearing, pivot bolts, axles, brakes, sprockets, offsets, etc. it's a major undertaking and just based on the question is probably a bit over your head. No offense meant.

I had thought of modifying the stock one as well..I was just curious about the sport bike swingarms since they are cheap to get. You got a build thread on your wife's bike or pictures of the process. All of this is a bit over my head yes at the moment. But that's why I'm taking on this project, to learn something new and have fun with it and hopefully end up with something kick ass in the end. It's all about taking your time and doing lots of research. The forums are a great place to do research and learn ways to do things.

Tattooo
08-25-2016, 7:51 AM
I had thought of modifying the stock one as well..I was just curious about the sport bike swingarms since they are cheap to get. You got a build thread on your wife's bike or pictures of the process. All of this is a bit over my head yes at the moment. But that's why I'm taking on this project, to learn something new and have fun with it and hopefully end up with something kick ass in the end. It's all about taking your time and doing lots of research. The forums are a great place to do research and learn ways to do things.

Start you a build thread and show us how you do.........

farmall
08-25-2016, 1:36 PM
It usually looks like ass but can certainly be done right.

You could get a junk stock frame with no title and use that to cut up and mock up your conversion, then use what you learn on the real deal.

militant83
08-25-2016, 3:32 PM
Start you a build thread and show us how you do.........

I will for sure...I will be picking up a 02 Shadow 750 that has already been modified some so it will be a good starting point. I think modifying the stock swing arm probably the best option. I found a company that will do it if I didn't want to mess with it but where is the fun in that. Thinking of just picking up a used swingarm from ebay and going from there. Just have to figure out how to make the rectangular slugs, maybe get a machine shop to machine them.