PDA

View Full Version : Bent kick shaft?

BUKNEKK4D
08-17-2016, 9:27 AM
Hi, I have an 83 KZ750 twin. kick only. Fired the motor for the first time since the build started and it fired up in about 6 kicks. The third of fourth time starting it the kicked made a large bang and stayed all the way down. It will not recoil on its own, it still makes a ratcheting sound when you pull it up by hand but has a lot of resistance. When I pull the small rectangle shaped cover off that the shaft runs through it seems to work fine and recoil fine. the stub of shaft that is visible sort of "bananas" when the kicker is operated by hand. it appears to be bent, but also has quite a bit of play as you can knock the shaft around in the hole about a mm or more. Just wondering if anyone has run into this before. its quite a substantial shaft, probably around 7/8 or better. Just trying to avoid splitting the case :asshat:
Thanks a lot guys.

mechdesign2k4
08-17-2016, 10:53 AM
just curious, can you spin the motor by hand? I doubt you bent the shaft. maybe broke a tooth or spring return... bike in gear?

farmall
08-17-2016, 4:02 PM
Look in your service manual for how the kicker setup operates. Where do the shafts go per the exploded view?

IIRC (it's been a while) Either you'll have a motor pull to maybe get it from the bottom, or (most likely) pull the motor pull for a case split.

You can check Ebay for photos of removed parts.

I'd also inspect the electric starter clutch etc when you flip the engine and pull the bottom case off.

BUKNEKK4D
08-18-2016, 7:34 AM
Yes the motor spins by hand no problem. There is a lot of resistance using the kicker with the cover on, off it seems fine. I can kick it through and the motor kicks back hard every time with the kicker stuck down. Never had this issue before it started sticking down. I'm going to pull the motor this weekend and split the cases.

datadavid
08-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Would taka a few tons of pressure to bend a short axle like that..

BUKNEKK4D
08-27-2016, 7:24 AM
Well its bent. Split the case last night and its bent a good 1/16 of an inch. The shaft necks down to about 1/2 the thickness in the middle and it bent there. just needs a new one I guess.

datadavid
08-28-2016, 7:41 AM
Bend it back, only takes a few tons of pressure! ;)

BUKNEKK4D
08-29-2016, 4:56 AM
ah for 50 bucks ill get a new one lol